What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with print activater

Jim1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Yesterday I tried to download a zip file associated with print activated. The ipad2 asked me what I wanted to open it with and only gave me the option of using dropbox. Next, I found a free .zip program manager in the iTunes store and downloaded it. I then tried it again - this time the .zip program came up as an option to open the program, but when I tapped the program name to en the .zip file, nothing happened.

How do I get print activater opened and installed on my ipad2?

Thank you in advance!

Jim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can not install files this way on the iPad. The only way to install apps on the iPad are from the App Store, or if you are jailbroken from a few other sources. But you can not download a file and install it on the iPad. Just doesn't work that way.

I'm guessing you are talking about the Print Activator program. This is installed on your computer. What it does is make your computer's printer available to the Print option already built into the iPad's apps. It does this by emulating an AirPrint compatible printer.

iOS: AirPrint 101

FingerPrint and Printopia are two other programs that you can install on your computer to do this. They have more options, but cost money.

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I vouch that it does work. I've installed print activiator for a few friends without issue.

Here are a few thing to look out for if you continue with AirPrint.

When printing from the iPad to print activiator the first time you'll need to supply a credential that includes a password. Blank passwords haven't worked for me.

One of my friends didn't want to password her login so I created a user called "print" with a password. This worked.

I added a firewall setting on the windows box for the print activiator executable.

Hope this helps.

I'm cheap so I used the free option.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jim1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rog,

Are you saying you have installed print activator on an ipad2? If so, please explain how you did it.

I'm learning to love this machine, but I need to print from it for work and school. I tried print and share, only to find out after I spent money that I would need my laptop to be on in order to print from my pad. Boo.

Thank you,

Jim

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, print activator is installed on the PC the printer is connect to.

Print activator installs and runs a service that allows the connected printer to be discoverable by the iPad's built-in printing function.

kgundry1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Printing of iPad documents on Lexmark Pro205

There are two printers connected to our PC (Windows XP), a Brother via USB and a Lexmark Pro205 wirelessly, and they work flawlessly from the PC. I have installed Lexprint on the iPad, and that allows printing of photos and browser screens (only!) on either printer. However, from other programs on the iPad, I can ask to print a displayed document, and a window is reached that lists both the Brother and the Lexmark printers. Provided I have run Airprint Activator on the computer, the Brother will print the document. If I choose the Lexmark, I get a window asking for a username and password. Somewhere in this string is a reference to needing these, but I have no idea what is required nor where or how to enter them; are they something that has to be set up at the printer itself? Surely if the Brother will print, and if Lexprint allows (limited) printing to the Lexmark, the Lexmark ought to behave like the Brother and print from other programs. Help, please!
Ken

Most reactions

Latest posts