What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with ipad 1st gen jailbroken

crow1004

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My friends son supposedly jailbroke this ipad and he has given it to me to try and fix, it turns on and shows the itunes connect picture and does charge even though it does not indicate it is charging. I want to just reset it and have tried to put in dfu and it still is not detected in itunes.

I have tried 2 macs and 2 pcs so i know its not the system. I just don't know what to do to talk to it, windows does not even see it as being plugged in but like i said it does charge. any ideas would be great !!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure you got it into DFU mode correctly? It does not sound like it to me, and that is your best bet to get it sorted.
Try our guide here - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

Jailbreaking is entirely software based, and since using DFU mode completely bypasses IOS and any software on the device, it cannot fail unless there is 1) a hardware fault with the iPad, or 2) a configuration problem with the PC.

Since you have access to 2 Macs running OSX, I would suggest you follow this guide - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hack...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html on one of the Macs.

Provided you get the device into DFU mode properly, it will not fail unless there is a hardware fault with the iPad. It is worth noting that just because the device charges, it does not follow that there is not a problem with the dock connector. There are 30 pins on there, and only a few are necessary to get it to charge. More of them are necessary in order to be able to restore.
Make sure you try and alternative cable too. The guide above discusses this at the end.

Good luck!

OP
C

crow1004

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i tried the steps in the dfu mode for dummies and the screen does remain black but nothing detects it, like i said it does charge so you could be right the connector could be bad or this kid messed it up. I have tried enough computers and am sure that is not the issue. I wish i could just reset it to factory

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I enter dfu mode I like having the idevice connected to the pc already(powered off) and iTunes open. Then proceed with steps to enter dfu and iTunes will beep/chime as soon as it enters dfu with a pop up stating something about restore. This way is easy for me because you know exactly when to let off the home button.

OP
C

crow1004

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have tried that, i think i tried every combo from 10 secs to 2 mins and every sec in between. if the unit is off it comes on when i plug in usb connector, not sure if that tells you anything. The dock connector seems solid but i guess it could be bad. If no one has any other ideas i guess i'll waste the 40 bucks and an hour to see if thats it.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i have tried that, i think i tried every combo from 10 secs to 2 mins and every sec in between. if the unit is off it comes on when i plug in usb connector, not sure if that tells you anything. The dock connector seems solid but i guess it could be bad. If no one has any other ideas i guess i'll waste the 40 bucks and an hour to see if thats it.

Just to be clear, no other combo will work. It MUST be 10 seconds exactly and the iPad must be connected to the PC via the cable. The timing is built into the hardware and can never be a variable. It can be very tricky to do it the first time, but once you get the technique, you'll get it every time...

The device switching on when you connect the cable is standard. You should connect the cable before powering off to avoid that happening.

OP
C

crow1004

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just to let anyone who is having same issues as i was, it was the dock connector inside the ipad. I took it apart and I have a high temp heat gun on my soldering station and heated the dock end enough to melt solder and put it back together and bingo. I spent days thinking it was the jailbreak or my lack of timing to get it into dfu mode....only thing if you take these apart buy the clips you destroy them upon opening

Most reactions