What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help With Camera Connection Kit

Dave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased the Ipad Camera Connection Kit. I put an SD card into the card reader and plug it into the Ipad and I get a message that the USB device is not supported. I have several videos on it. It is a PNY 8GB SDHC card. I also just tried a SanDisk 4GB card as well. No good.

This is the Ipad SD Card reader. Shouldn't it work? :confused::confused::confused:

Any thoughts?

Dave...

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
are the memory cards formated in Fat32?

also as far as i know it only works with photos, not videos.

the camera connector kit just lets you import photo's from cameras or sd cards onto the ipads internal memory. you cant view/edit anything directly on the SD card.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased the Ipad Camera Connection Kit. I put an SD card into the card reader and plug it into the Ipad and I get a message that the USB device is not supported. I have several videos on it. It is a PNY 8GB SDHC card. I also just tried a SanDisk 4GB card as well. No good.

This is the Ipad SD Card reader. Shouldn't it work? :confused::confused::confused:

Any thoughts?

Dave...

The problem come from the type of card you use, i got the same trouble with one SD card , i try an other one from a small Canon we have and work like charm so now i know from where that come … by the way if you have an 3GS iPhone you can also connect it to the iPad as camera using the USB port and Apple cable

OP
D

Dave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Camera Connection Kit

Thanks for the input!!!

Actually the SD card adapter can be used to transfer videos as well per Apple's documentation.

The documentation also indicates that SDHC cards can be used, as well as MicroSD cards, provided that you have the adapter for it.

I tried two SDHC cards and they gave me the same error message. I also tried a MicroSD card, in an SD adapter, and then inserted that into the Apple SD card adapter and that did work.

Strange.

I am going to try the format issue as suggested by Mike.

I will keep you guys posted. Any other thoughts would also be appreciated!!!

Dave...

OP
D

Dave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reformatted the SD card using FAT 32. It still does not work.

This is particularly irritating as I purchased an 8 GB SDHC card today specifically to store videos on to carry with me to transfer to my Ipad when I so desire. And again, the documentation that comes with the Camera Connection Kit specifically says it works with SDHC.

I guess I will call Apple on Monday.

D...

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reformatted the SD card using FAT 32. It still does not work.

This is particularly irritating as I purchased an 8 GB SDHC card today specifically to store videos on to carry with me to transfer to my Ipad when I so desire. And again, the documentation that comes with the Camera Connection Kit specifically says it works with SDHC.

I guess I will call Apple on Monday.

D...

Believe me Apple can’t help you as the reader work … i am on Mac so i can’t help you if you are in PC , but i am pretty sure the problem come from the card format, of course if your card work in other device i mean not broken or corrupted …

one of my card don’t work in my iPad so i reformat and now work like a charm

jervis961

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd also make sure the video is encoded in a format that can be used by the ipad. I've used SDHC via the camera kit without a problem. I did have an issue with a Micro SD but got it to work after a couple of tries (I didn't have the micro pushed in far enough).

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Calling apple won't get you anywhere. You need to format the sdcard as fat32 and clear everything on it off. Even if it is empty reformat the sdcard many cards need to be reformatedbefor they work with some devices.

If that doesn't work take the sdcardback and get a different brand.

tozol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
guys....he said he already formatted to fat 32 and still doesn't work, lol

Got to say it is a pain, I would try a different card reader if you can.

OP
D

Dave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: I have reformatted a PNY 8 gb SDHC card and a Lexar 4 gb SDHC card using Fat 32. I get the same error message. I tried a SanDisk 4 gb MicroSD card and it worked. The card was from a camera though. I am going to try a regular SanDIsk non-HC card and see if that works.

Has anyone used an SDHC card in one of the IPAD card readers? I'm starting to wonder if it simply does not work with the high capacity cards, though it indicates that they do.

I want to see if Apple will exchange the reader for me.

D...

tigerbait1953

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Format to FAT 32 alone may be the problem

The camera connection kit when it detects a card with pictures immediately launches the photo import program. It most probably does that since it reads and for most every camera finds a directory named DCIM. In the computer formatting of a card wipes it clean. "In camera" format wipes clean and then places the DCIM directory on the card. Try adding that directory to your card and see if it works. Otherwise it is most probably defective.

Most reactions

Latest posts