What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Please Please

Gatornole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys - I am so sorry that I am not as savvy as I want to be with the new technology - I'm nearing 70 - anyway I purchased a audiobook a week ago - I dropped my IPad and I had to purchase another IPad - I down loaded all the stuff on my broken IPad to my new one except the audiobook I purchased a week ago - I noticed it's not even on my PC in my IBooks - is there a way to get it on my new IPad from my broken IPad - Thank you sooo much for your help!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Did you purchase the audiobook in the iTunes/iBooks/Music app?

If so, the good news is you don't need to copy the audiobook from one iPad to the other. Almost all content from the iStores can be downloaded again for free on any device that uses the same iTunes account.

Your new iPad may be running iOS 8.4, in which case the audiobooks have moved to the iBooks app (they used to be in the Music app).

If the audiobooks are still in Music (pre iOS 8.4) then go to the Purchased tab in Music. You should see your audiobook listed, and can tap on it to download again. If in iBooks, the same trick should work. To see an audio book in iBooks you must have All Books or Audiobooks selected as a category (top center).

Hint: If you use the Not On this iPad tab at the top of the Purchased view you can limit what you are looking for to only the items you might want to download.

If the book was an Audible.com book, you'll need to download and sign into the Audible.com site. Like iTunes, your old content should be free to download again. I can't offer details, since I don't have this app.

If you got the audiobook by some other method, then please describe where and how you purchased it, and got it onto the iPad to begin with. With luck someone will have dealt with that method before.

OP
G

Gatornole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you purchase the audiobook in the iTunes/iBooks/Music app?

If so, the good news is you don't need to copy the audiobook from one iPad to the other. Almost all content from the iStores can be downloaded again for free on any device that uses the same iTunes account.

Your new iPad may be running iOS 8.4, in which case the audiobooks have moved to the iBooks app (they used to be in the Music app).

If the audiobooks are still in Music (pre iOS 8.4) then go to the Purchased tab in Music. You should see your audiobook listed, and can tap on it to download again. If in iBooks, the same trick should work. To see an audio book in iBooks you must have All Books or Audiobooks selected as a category (top center).

Hint: If you use the Not On this iPad tab at the top of the Purchased view you can limit what you are looking for to only the items you might want to download.

If the book was an Audible.com book, you'll need to download and sign into the Audible.com site. Like iTunes, your old content should be free to download again. I can't offer details, since I don't have this app.

If you got the audiobook by some other method, then please describe where and how you purchased it, and got it onto the iPad to begin with. With luck someone will have dealt with that method before.
Thanks - But I can't find it - purchased from iTunes - I plugged my new ipad in my computer and went to ibooks, music purchased and it's nowhere to be found -I tried to purchase it again and it said already purchased would you like to purchase again - sorry to be so ignorant but I'm lost the new pad is 8.4 the other is 8.4

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You should not need to plug the iPad into your computer to see the book, or search for it, or download it. Use the iBooks app on the iPad. The Purchased tab is at the bottom right.

You should also, first, make sure you are signed into your iTunes account in Settings > iTunes & App Store.

And for a while, it was possible to purchase Audibale.com books from iTunes. If it turns out to be one of those, you'll need the audible.com app to get the book.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
About Audible books purchased through iTunes, there's no purchase history. They cannot be re-downloaded for free. If they're in the iTunes library on your computer you can sync them to your other devices. At least, that's how it works for me.

If you have the Audible app on your iPad, it will see the Audible titles purchased through iTunes and currently on your iPad. They can be played in the app but listening statistics are not collected for iTunes titles.

BTW, Audible titles can be purchased through the iBook Store.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome. When checking today, some of the Audible titles I purchased last year are no longer in iTunes.

Most reactions

Latest posts