What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed connecting a USB keyboard to 4th gen iPad (no sounds in Garageband)

F1Fanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am trying to connect an M-Audio Oxygen 88 USB MIDI controller to a 4th Gen iPad but no sounds on key input.. I am new to the iPad and I am connecting the keyboard as follows:

Keyboard > powered USB hub > USB cable > lightning camera connection kit > 4th Gen ipad

The keyboard lights up normally just as it would if it was connected to a computer, but no sounds or change in graphics on the iPad.

(note: If I connect directly to the iPad, or disconnect the power from the hub I get an error about needing too much power). Do I need to set anything in GB on the iPad, or should it be straight forward from the start?

Any ideas??

-Thanks

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Avid keystudio with 49 keys seems to work with the 8 pin or lightning dock and SampleTank Free app. M-Audio Oxygen 88 may not be supported, I don't know for sure.

OP
F1Fanatic

F1Fanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I appreciate the response.. After a little fiddling in GarageBand, I was able to get it to work. Thanks! Any good virtual instruments for the iPad that I should try?

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So many to choose from in sampltank.

I like the saxophone and oboe.
But the recent free version no longer has oboe.
Either way you can demo all of the sounds through their arpeggio feature.
Arpeggios are broken chords, but I like to think of them as a stream of patterns.
Afterall how can you quantify time delay effects.

Most reactions