What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm confused..... Please help

McDaddy1815

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

Have finally bit the bullet and obtained an iPad (4th gen) to connect to my trusty Clavinova with the intention of upgrading the sounds and doing some low grade music tech. But having never owned an apple product before, and with my last forays into music technology being in the 90s, I'm totally bewildered by what I need.
I will be running my clavinova to the iPad via midi through an alesis control hub and camera connection kit, with powered monitors plugged into the control hub.
Will then be using korg module and/or igrand. Firstly, is there any reason why this won't work??
Secondly, and where my confusion really lies, can anyone please recommend an app which will let me import midi files, rearrange them a bit, change the instruments to something palatable to the human ear, silence certain tracks ie the piano parts, and play along with them as backing tracks? If cubasis or similar is the answer then where do the general midi sounds come from? Is this sampletank or some thing like that? Or am I on the wrong page entirely....?

Sorry for the long first post, would appreciate any help that may be offered.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know anything about this but it would probably help to know what a clavinova is.

Hey Thomas - I looked at that post the other day and simply googled the term - apparently, a Yamaha brand name for a number of electronic keyboards (like in the pic below).

@ McDaddy - welcome to the forum! :) As above, I did not respond earlier because had little experience to help - my wife is an amateur musician and years ago I setup her portable keyboard w/ a MIDI connection to our then PC Windows computer - assume she wanted to do what you are trying to achieve w/ the iPad.

You've posted in an appropriate forum, i.e. 'iPad for Musicians', but have not received a response - unfortunately, I feel that someone would have to 'come along' who has gone through this process to advise. You may want to look for some type of 'electronic musical forum' to join and post - the only musical instrument app that I've played w/ on the iPad is GarageBand, so check the link to see if there are features desired; as to your connections using the camera connection kit, I cannot be of much help, sorry. Dave
Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 12.04.29 AM.png

OP
M

McDaddy1815

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks both.

Correct, a clavinova is a digital piano. Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I'll keep researching for now

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks both.

Correct, a clavinova is a digital piano. Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I'll keep researching for now

Just did a little googling on 'digital piano forums' and this site PianoWorld was a top hit - might want to join & do some searching there and leave your question. Good luck. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 12.14.32 PM.png

Most reactions