What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed! Best app for playing .mov on ipad

Missjjled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all,
I'm new to this forum and am in need of some serious help. I am wanting to play a .mov on my iPad2 as part of an art installation. I want the viewer to press play and then when the piece finishes it goes back to the beginning so the next person can press play. I can't loop it because I don't want it to play continuously and have people come in half way through. I have tried movie player 3 but the movie when finished goes back to the library section of the app. I've tried playerXtreme but the status bar won't disappear during the playing and it also goes back to the directory after it finishes play. I've tried OplayerHD but it has too many buttons on the screen which take forever to disappear and then it to goes back to the directory.
All I want is for the video to sit there ready to have someone to press play, for the status bar to disappear once it starts playing and then go back to the start and wait for someone else to press play.
Does an app like this exist???? I would so appreciate any thoughts about something that pay be able to do this.
Thanks so much in advance.
Jess

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not perfect, but you could use Keynote.

Create a single slide and put the movie on it. Change the Presentation Mode to Loop. Tap the play icon to start the slideshow.

When you tap on the slide, the movie will start. Tapping a second time resets the movie to the begining. So it goes like this.

You tap the slide and the movie plays to the end. You tap it again and the movie moves to the begining. Another tap and it starts playing again. To close the presentation pinch the screen.

To give the user a clue, you could place a shape (like a Play Button) on the slide. You could probably use the Guided Access mode (under Settings > General > Accesibilty) to reduce the likelyhood of someone exiting the app by accident.

Still, this is a poor way of doing things. What you probably want is a kiosk app, but I’m not sure which one or how well it would work. I recomend searching in the App Store for ‘kiosk’ and research the options.

Most reactions

Latest posts