What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help deciding between ipad 3 and ipad 4 .... anu suggrstions?

xyth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I'm finally upgrading my iPad 1...my questions are as follows....

I use my iPad mostly for reading browsing and for virtually connecting to my computer.

My iPad is jailbroken... it lets me use vlc media player to play avi files

Is it worth getting a iPad 3 since they can be jaolbroken?

Or should I get the iPad 4 and pray it gets broken.

What's the chances and iPad 3 bought new comes w with a jailbreakable firmware?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
xyth said:

I use my iPad mostly for reading browsing and for virtually connecting to my computer.

While there is a possibility that some of the late production iPad 3's left the factory with iOS 6 installed, most of them had a version of iOS 5 when produced. If you do decide to jailbreak such an iPad, be very careful about what jailbroken apps and tweaks you install. If anything renders a restore necessary, you will end up on iOS 6.1.1, and will have to wait for an iOS 6 jailbreak.

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 4 wipes the floor with the iPad 3, I would take it regardless of the jailbreak. As for the avi files, if they can be played on the iPad 1 I would expect the same on the iPad 4.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad 4 wipes the floor with the iPad 3, I would take it regardless of the jailbreak. As for the avi files, if they can be played on the iPad 1 I would expect the same on the iPad 4.

Only in benchmarks......but this is a tricky question for the op.

OP
X

xyth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only can play avi with plc...which I can't get without jailbreak
Will iPad 4 eventually be hac

ked?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
xyth said:
Is it expected soon ?

There's no way to tell. Jail breaking has gotten harder with each new iOS version Apple has released. All you can do is be patient and periodically check the jailbreak status thread.

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Only can play avi with plc...which I can't get without jailbreak
Will iPad 4 eventually be hac

ked?

If you post the specs of one of those avi files maybe we can tell you if it is playable on any of the the media players available in the AppStore. I'm guessing here but I think the problem it's the lack of power because I can play AVI files on the iPad 3 just fine with AVPlayerHD.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everything is hacked eventually. However that is not necessary to play .avi files on an iPad. Just convert them to .MP4, .mov, or .m4V files. Easy and free.

Why buy older technology when it is right there on the shelf with up to date technology? Buy the 4 but know that the 5 will be out in March 2013.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
xyth said:

So far the only jailbreak for the iPad 3 is on iOS 5, meaning you'd HAVE to find one that is still on iOS 5 (ones you buy in store would probably be on iOS 6). Though if you purchase at the apple store, they may tell you (or you can even try for yourself) to see if its running iOS 5 or iOS 6.

Jailbreak for the new devices can be anywhere from 1 week to over a year, no one can ever know when, or if a jailbreak will be released.

In my opinion, I'd suggest getting the 4. If you are going to spend that much money, might as well be for the top one. The A6X processor is phenomenal compared to the rest, and being an iPad 1 owner, it will make the switch even better. As for the .avi files, you can use "handbrake", its a program for your pc to convert any video file to mp4 (iPad compatible) and keep the same resolution, quality, and file size as the mp4.

And as wolfpuppies said, the iPad 5 should (is rumored to) be released in march. So I would recommend waiting till then, you can either get the 5 at the same price, or the 4 for cheaper.

Last edited:

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far the only jailbreak for the iPad 3 is on iOS 5, meaning you'd HAVE to find one that is still on iOS 5 (ones you buy in store would probably be on iOS 6). Though if you purchase at the apple store, they may tell you (or you can even try for yourself) to see if its running iOS 5 or iOS 6.

Jailbreak for the new devices can be anywhere from 1 week to over a year, no one can ever know when, or if a jailbreak will be released.

In my opinion, I'd suggest getting the 4. If you are going to spend that much money, might as well be for the top one. The A6X processor is phenomenal compared to the rest, and being an iPad 1 owner, it will make the switch even better. As for the .avi files, you can use "handbrake", its a program for your pc to convert any video file to mp4 (iPad compatible) and keep the same resolution, quality, and file size as the mp4.

And as wolfpuppies said, the iPad 5 should (is rumored to) be released in march. So I would recommend waiting till then, you can either get the 5 at the same price, or the 4 for cheaper.

I don't think you will have to convert the AVI files unless you want to use the stock video player. The problem with AVI files is that decoding has to be done by software because Apple denies access to the the MPEG-4 hardware decoder to any video file but the native ones. On previous iPads that could be a problem due to their weak CPU cores but the iPad 4 has an up-to-date CPU thus, most likely, it won't have any problem. On another side, I believe some video players already support hardware acceleration on AVI files by remuxing the container from AVI to MP4 on the fly.

Most reactions

Latest posts