What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from an author / Apple fan in South Florida

Always Write

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.davidderrico.com
Hello everyone! I am a long-time Apple fan, voracious reader, and author. I was intrigued by the iPad as both a computing/entertainment device and to see what it would mean for the future of e-books and reading. I also have a Kindle 2, and quickly grew to love it, to the point where all my book purchases are e-books now.

I couldn't quite justify the expense of an iPad, but I got lucky in that my wife's birthday was the same day as the iPad launch and, at the last minute, we decided that's what I'd get her for her birthday. So we stayed up all night and waited in line at 6:30 AM and picked up her new toy. I then spent most of the day "setting it up" for her. :D One of these days, I may let her use it. (Just kidding ... mostly!)

Anyway, I've been more impressed with it so far than I thought I would be. We've always had Macs, but we never got iPhones or iPod Touches. And I have to say, it's fun, especially the games and apps. I think the most "revolutionary" aspect of the iPad is actually the simplified OS and ease of use. While Macs blow PCs out of the water on being intuitive and easy to use, it only takes one troubleshooting call from my parents or my wife's parents to realize that computers are just not intuitive to most people (programmers excepted). The iPad can be picked up by just about anyone and they can figure it out pretty quickly.

I was also very excited to see that my novels both made it into the iBook store on launch day! They've been selling pretty well on Amazon, but I'm excited to have a new avenue, and hopefully the iPad will bring e-books to more and more people. If you're interested, I posted a description of my science fiction novels (which are just 99 cents each) in the "Self-Promotion" thread here.

Anyway, I'm glad I found these forums, and I look forward to discussing Apple, my novels, or my new toy -- I mean, my WIFE'S new toy. ;)

- David

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hey David, welcome to the site. I hope you stick around and participate more then just for promotion.

OP
A

Always Write

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.davidderrico.com
Thanks for the welcomes! I do plan to participate more than promote ... I think participation and people getting to know me is actually the best form of promotion. I have been trying to concentrate on finishing up my third book though, so I've been cutting down on my forum visitation in general. But I'll be around. :)

KL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep reading

I'm always so happy to encounter someone who calls himself a "voracious reader." Personally, I'm happiest when my mind is sunk deep into an amazing book.

Most reactions