What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hdmi adaptor video not stable

Djlipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
Picked up an ipad2 64gig wifi 3G a month ago and have been happy with it.
Today I got the av adaptor to hook this to my samsung 52" HDTV but am having trouble with the connection to the tv. Tried 3different hdmi cables and 3 different hdmi inputs on the tv. The problem I am having is that the connection to the tv seems to be intermittent. I tried this using Netflix and various apps and games with the same issue occuring. I can start a movie and it seems ok but then at random times the tv screen goes black for a few seconds and comes back on. The video resumes playing but there is no audio.
If you hit the 30sec rollback in netflix app it will start up again with the sound.
With games you have to restart them. Has anyone had similar issues?

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I've used the adaptor quite a few times without any problems. I would return the adaptor asap.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Djlipad2 said:
Hello,
Picked up an ipad2 64gig wifi 3G a month ago and have been happy with it.
Today I got the av adaptor to hook this to my samsung 52" HDTV but am having trouble with the connection to the tv. Tried 3different hdmi cables and 3 different hdmi inputs on the tv. The problem I am having is that the connection to the tv seems to be intermittent. I tried this using Netflix and various apps and games with the same issue occuring. I can start a movie and it seems ok but then at random times the tv screen goes black for a few seconds and comes back on. The video resumes playing but there is no audio.
If you hit the 30sec rollback in netflix app it will start up again with the sound.
With games you have to restart them. Has anyone had similar issues?

What was the make of the adapter you were using?

sky2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try to use it on other TV, I have the same problem, but I think the switch of my Sony for HDMI has got a problem, before you change or return back the HDMI connector for IPAD just try with other TV,

OP
D

Djlipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.
The adaptor is from apple and has been tried on two different TVs. Both are samsung LCD hdtvs. Maybe it is the adaptor itself but doesn't make sense because it works most of the time. Doesn't make a difference if I am holding the iPad or putting stationary on a table.
I will return the adaptor and try a new one.
Maybe there is some circuitry inside the connector which could cause a buffering issue.
Thanks,
Don

OP
D

Djlipad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Returned the adaptor and got a new one. (same thing) and it works great now. Problem solved.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Djlipad2 said:
Returned the adaptor and got a new one. (same thing) and it works great now. Problem solved.

That's reassuring, mine should be delivered today :) and mirroring is what I really see myself using it for most.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine has just arrived! With any luck, I shall shortly be viewing the forum in full 47 " HDMI :) Little things, they say please little minds!

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now here's one for you all. According to Steve Jobs, Apple help etc. It is perfectly safe to use the HDMI connection whilst also charging via the mains. Now that sounds ok, And I can plug it into an anti surge cut out board. But..... I have always been a bit suspect of doing this type of thing. Anyone else tried this? Battery is now at 52 % so plugging in to charge whilst setting up appeals to me. Just a nagging safety doubt.

Probably just me, I don't suppose they would make them with the extra connection if it was likely to trash my iPad.....? Or would they :)

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vintage90 said:
Now here's one for you all. According to Steve Jobs, Apple help etc. It is perfectly safe to use the HDMI connection whilst also charging via the mains. Now that sounds ok, And I can plug it into an anti surge cut out board. But..... I have always been a bit suspect of doing this type of thing. Anyone else tried this? Battery is now at 52 % so plugging in to charge whilst setting up appeals to me. Just a nagging safety doubt.

Probably just me, I don't suppose they would make them with the extra connection if it was likely to trash my iPad.....? Or would they :)

I can report that all is working perfectly, the temptation is to try and type on the HUGE keyboard displayed on the TV :) nice clear picture but does not fill the screen completely, I have a feeling that their is an app for this, will do a search. The greatest thing is that it picked up all my optical connections automatically, so as I am typing this I am listening to high def, optical 7.1 channel clicks:)

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipfuser55 said:
I can report that all is working perfectly, the temptation is to try and type on the HUGE keyboard displayed on the TV :) nice clear picture but does not fill the screen completely, I have a feeling that their is an app for this, will do a search. The greatest thing is that it picked up all my optical connections automatically, so as I am typing this I am listening to high def, optical 7.1 channel clicks:)

I've noticed when using BBC iPlayer, the picture is as wide as the TV but there's a black margin top & bottom.

I thought this was just down to the different aspect ratio of TV & iPad screens. Picture quality is good though.

Most reactions

Latest posts