What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HDaccessory.com Leather cases

ckole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ordered 2 different leather cases from hdaccessory.com they both have a strong chemical smell. I have had them airing out for a few days and no real dissipation of the smell. Anyone own one of these and have something positive to report?

As for a mini review other than the smell (not good and maybe a deal breaker) the case fit is ok. Yes you can tell it isn't a $70 case but I am ok with that. The kickstand portion of the case is pretty good and works as advertised. The other case is a portfolio only where the iPad clicks into place. If you want a basic case that keeps the edges of your iPad free it isn't bad. So if I can solve the smell issue I think these cases are ok. Especially since they are under $20. I don't mind paying more but I really thing anything over $40.00 is a complete rip off. Give me something made in the USA I would be willing to pay more. Made in China no thanks.

Hope others out there have tried these cases.

Thanks

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Uh, the iPad is made in China. Is that a "no thanks" too?

Is it sunny where you are? Try letting the cases sit out in the sun for a while (not in a sunny window, but outside in direct sunlight). See if the sun helps dissipdate the chemicals.

largefarva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually the odor is there to stay....it will seem like it's starting to fade after airing it out but as soon as it's brought back inside or whatever you did to air it out the smell comes back just as strong as before.

My first iPad case was from hdaccessory.com, and it will be the last one from them as well. It's currently residing at some landfill somewhere I'm sure...stinking up the place.

OP
C

ckole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually the odor is there to stay....it will seem like it's starting to fade after airing it out but as soon as it's brought back inside or whatever you did to air it out the smell comes back just as strong as before.

My first iPad case was from hdaccessory.com, and it will be the last one from them as well. It's currently residing at some landfill somewhere I'm sure...stinking up the place.

That's what I was afraid of. I think I will try to return them. Oh well seems like if they were faux leather they would be better off than whatever this stuff is.

Any other kickstand cases which one would recommend. I like the ZooGue case but I hate the logos everywhere. Great concept though. I travel every week and a kickstand case is what I have found works best for me. I am also looking for something as thin as possible since my iPad goes inside a messenger bag with lots of other stuff.

Uh, the iPad is made in China. Is that a "no thanks" too?

Is it sunny where you are?
Ok I think the iPad costs to much but I did buy one. I don't want to discuss politics or philosophy but it does bother me when something is made for a lot less money and the company tries to charge like it was hand made by people int the U.S.A. Sun what's that? I live in AZ? :) I think most cases, accessories, in general are a rip off and we all know the margins on them are super high.

Last edited:

Game_Writer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a set of luggage that was apparently made in China that had a very foul odor when new. I mean, it was bad. I think it was the dyes they used. I let them sit open for couple months in storage and now I don't notice any odor at all. Some people reported getting foul smells in their clothes from using this luggage, but I've used them a quite a big since i let them air out and haven't noticed any odors.

My guess is that it will go away after time.

OP
C

ckole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I have had these cases airing out for days. Over 5 to be exact and there seems to be no change. So I am going to attempt to return them. I am hoping I can avoid the 20% restock fee since I don't feel a product giving off a strong chemical smell is my fault. It's too bad because HDAccessory offers some interesting designs at reasonable prices. I think they just need to switch to faux leather instead of whatever they are attempting to use.

I have caved and bought the ZooGue case. I really don't like the logo treatments on it but this is the type of case I really need.

OP
C

ckole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another quick update. I am working on returning the HD Accessory cases but my ZooGue case arrived. I will say it is night and day in terms of build quality. It to has a faint smell from the leather dye but it is no where near the issue with the HD case. They are still airing out in my garage with no perceptible change in the toxic chemical smell. So I am thumbs down on these cases. This is too bad because with the iPad being expensive enough having to spend lots more money for a quality case is dissapointing.

As for my first take of the ZooGue case - it is very sturdy and rugged without feeling super bulky. The kickstand is for sure the best one out there. I think you could beat the ipad with a hammer and the stand wouldn't fall down. I will give a follow up review in a few weeks after the case has been road tested. I travel every week. Make the logos less pronounced and I would give it 5 stars.

dammadshopper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Buyer beware

Just trying to save someone some grief. They sell cheap junk, so what? They dont charge much. when it falls apart or you dont get what you ordered just try to contact them. After being told to "send a picture of the defective item and the initials on the packing slip they clam up. the next time they will talk to you is AFTER you call your credit card company to dispute the charge. Some more running you around and they hope you will just throw the junk away and chalk it up as a learning experience. they got your money, they WIN! Read the small prit on the return form. NOTHING is returnable if it has been opened. DUH, how did i find out it was crap?
I've warned you, shame on you if you dont listen.

MayaD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting, I bought a folio case from hdaccessory.com and did not have your odor problem. Did not notice any odor at all. I bought it while I tried to figure out whch "real case" I wanted to buy. It's been 2 months and haven't seen anything I particularly like better. I really like the outside pocket for my cleaning cloth but I would like a better typing position. But for $15.00, it does what I want it to do 95% of the time. I recommended it to a couple of my buds as starter cases and they have no complaints.

techboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
a strong chemical smell? are you sure its real leather? the chemicals used in the dying and stretching process of leather do not leave a smell. maybe there is a reason they're under $20..... not real leather?

Most reactions

Latest posts