What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have the issues / bugs been resoved yet (hardware and OS)?

OP
A

argon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From reading another thread on this forum, I was pretty sure that there were no carrier compatibiltiy issues with the Air. I opted to walk away from that lady rather than possibly get in an unpleasent argument with her. RE: cellular option: I don't have a real need for it, at least at this time; you never know what lies ahead, and so I'm the kind of guy who will spend a little more for the "insurance" of not being stuck with something unsuitable later on. Maybe that GPS feature would be useful? (But will the GPS work with Wi-Fi only, or does it work only via data link?) (I do have an android Smartphone Tracfone, and have considered just getting the plain Wi-Fi Air and linking my phone with that, but my android Tracfone is pretty restricted/limited (unless I "root" (?) it; practicallly speaking, that probably won't be an option). So, no carrier now, so I guess the AT&T SIM would be OK. A new/different SIM probably wouldn't cost much. My ideal carrier would be (really!) Tracfone, where I can simply purchase some data time as needed, e.g., on vacation etc. (data card - they sell these with data minutes only - in addition to the regular cards they sell providing voice, text & data). If I have a real need for data, I would simply use my Smartphone.

BTW, I noticed some Zagg clear protective screen covers, and was a little surprised to see two versions/styles: full tablet cover vs. screen (only) cover. Which is "best" and why? (I'm thinking that the edges of the full-tablet cover would "catch" stuff duing use and start to peel away at the coners/edges.) The one I thought I would buy is the Zagg screen version that is smuge-proof and non-glare. These are pretty expensive - $30+ - costly if you mess it up. The funny thing is, is that I already bought a case a couple of months ago, one of the cheap ones from ebay that several people on anther thread were raving about, black ones were like $9 or $10. I got an "expensive" blue one for about $15, I think.

Thanks, all.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Argon,
if you get the wifi-only ipad you cannot do any kind of Navigation at all when you are away from wifi. With the cellular model, you can IF you have mapped stored on your iPad. You can buy apps that let you download maps for certain states, regions, and nations. I use Navigon. So with it, and the GPS signal, even if you don't have cellular serviced enabled you can do navigation with the iPad, without using any data. If you enable cellular, then you don't need the maps because they will download over the cellular service as needed. But then you are using your data on your plan (which you don't plan to have) and if you get to a place with no service, you get no more maps.

I got a case to protect the metal parts of the iPad. That case has a cover which protects the screen. I don't use a protector and have never had a problem. However, some swear by them. If you have little kids that will be using your iPad, you might want to cover the entire device. Also, if you like to go to the beach where there is sand, then you might want one. Certain hard materials can scratch the screen. For me, I don't worry about that since no hard materials get near the screen of my iPads.

vespa5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone who has dealt with Windows from the beginning knows the real meaning of BUGS and iOS7 is nothing compared to the untold nightmares that occurred in history for those people.

You're not kidding. I'm amazed on how Microsoft can release buggy software and operating systems year after year after year and still rake in dough. Android is kinda the same way. Granted, I love the customization and "power user" capabilities that Android's KitKat has given to most of its phones and tablets using it, but still...... bugs upon bugs upon lag upon lag.... ad infinitum. iOS may be vanilla and boring, but it doesn't crash or have as many bugs as Windows and Android.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple - iPad Air - Technical Specifications

iPad Air specs. Appears to have the ability to work with any carrier, unlike earlier models that were carrier specific.

Much that this may not apply to you but one should be aware that there are different celluar version(models) of the cellular iPad 4 , iPad mini and IPhones 5 The difference is because there is no one standard world wide in celluar networks.

Most reactions

Latest posts