What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have iPad 2 -Need reasons to buy iPad 4

toothdoctor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I already own the 2 but am concerned that Apple will leave it behind in the next iOs so I am considering getting a 4. Before I spend the money, need to feel it is worth it.
Should I wait until the 5 comes out?
Also, not sure if the Mini 2 when it arrives would be a better bet. Heard it has some problems.
All comments welcome.
Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - which part of VA? I live in Piedmont, NC and vacation often in your state! :)

I've owned the iPad2 since its release and have not upgraded - assuming that $$ was no issue, my reason(s) would be wanting the 'new' features available - check out the table below (from HERE - nice short article, too). For me, the retina display & Siri would be main considerations, but others might want the better camera and/or the 4G LTE? I don't believe that upgrades to the iOS will leave the iPad2 behind for the near future at least - it is still being offered at the Apple store; plus, you might want to just wait for the next version to be released. I'm sure others will have similar or different thoughts - my son bought the iPad3 immediately, so really up to you. Good luck!

iPad234Compared.JPG

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since the 5 should be here in about 2-3 months I'd wait on it as the 4 is heavier than your 2 and the 5 will probably be as light or maybe even lighter than the 2. I have had all 4 editions of the iPad and have not noticed any differences between the 3 and the 4 whatsoever.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since the 5 should be here in about 2-3 months I'd wait on it as the 4 is heavier than your 2 and the 5 will probably be as light or maybe even lighter than the 2. I have had all 4 editions of the iPad and have not noticed any differences between the 3 and the 4 whatsoever.

Care to share your source for this information?
Or is this purely speculation?

OP...
IMHO if your in the market you can not lose getting an iPad 4 now.....nobody has a clue when or what the next version of iPad will be. The iPad 4 is a wonderful and fun experience.

btw - I defintely can notice a speed & graphics boost between the 3 & 4.

Last edited:

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use my ipad to list items on eBay and the camera quality is VERY good. Plus reading on the retina screen is a lot nicer. If I didn't have an iPhone 5 I probably would have bought a refurb ipad 3 but I thought having two different types of power cords would drive me crazy.

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score

OP...
IMHO if your in the market you can not lose getting an iPad 4 now.....nobody has a clue when or what the next version of iPad will be. The iPad 4 is a wonderful and fun experience.

Here is just one of several sources on the rumored iPad 5 scheduled for March to be lighter and thinner.

Thinner, Lighter 5th Generation iPad to Arrive in March 2013? - Mac Rumors

And to be fair I will admit that I am not a gamer whatsoever so I probably am not tapping into the graphical area of the iPad 4 to notice a difference but my wife still has her iPad 3 and I can open apps and websites on both iPads almost identical. I'm sure if I was to load a heavy duty graphics game then I would see the difference but for me and my spreadsheet, email, web surfing, and note taking self... They operate the same.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is just one of several sources on the rumored iPad 5 scheduled for March to be lighter and thinner.

Thinner, Lighter 5th Generation iPad to Arrive in March 2013? - Mac Rumors

And to be fair I will admit that I am not a gamer whatsoever so I probably am not tapping into the graphical area of the iPad 4 to notice a difference but my wife still has her iPad 3 and I can open apps and websites on both iPads almost identical. I'm sure if I was to load a heavy duty graphics game then I would see the difference but for me and my spreadsheet, email, web surfing, and note taking self... They operate the same.

The key is here is "rumor"..........
No offense, but I just hate to see people, like the OP in this thread, get the impression this is fact and to be very disappointed when this does not happen.

Bottom line is I would not wait for something that "might be" when there is nothing solid to back it up.
The iPad 4 is an awesome product and I don't think anyone would be disappointed in purchasing one now.............I plan to keep mine for many years regardless of what Apple puts out on the market.

Just to expensive to keep purchasing these new products......my pockets are not that deep.:eek:
This is what Apple and others want the consumer to do......makes them happy and us broke.

Last edited:

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The key is here is "rumor"..........
No offense, but I just hate to see people, like the OP in this thread, get the impression this is fact and to be very disappointed when this does not happen.

Bottom line is I would not wait for something that "might be" when there is nothing solid to back it up.
The iPad 4 is an awesome product and I don't think anyone would be disappointed in purchasing one now.............I plan to keep mine for many years regardless of what Apple puts out on the market.

Just to expensive to keep purchasing these new products......my pockets are not that deep.:eek:
This is what Apple and others want the consumer to do......makes them happy and us broke.

You asked for my source knowing that any source I had would be a rumor! I totally understand your point however my point is that I would totally hate to buy a 4 in mid January and have a 5 come out in late March.

Yes Apple will probably allow some to return recent purchases for the newer model but I'm not sure if they go back 2 months on that.

The OP is concerned that his/her iPad 2 will be left behind when IOS 7 comes out and that won't happen until sometime much later this year and since the OP is also mentioning the iPad 5 and the Mini 2 he/she is also very aware of these rumors that have been circulating around.

So go ahead and get an iPad 4 today and when Apple comes out with the iPad 5 around March 28 and it's lighter, thinner, and has 2gb ram, and they only allow trade ins going back for 60 days and you go whoops I've had mine for 71 days! Bummer!!!

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
These questions are ridiculous. Do you want it? Can you afford it? If yes to both, then get it. You dont need a group of people to quantify a personal decision. There will always be a new version on the horizon - nature of the technology beast. Chase that animal and you will never buy anything again.

Now, if you want to pay me to make the decision for you, by all means, I will send you my paypal account and when I see no less than $100 go in, I will give you a definitive answer.

kingjust35

iPF Noob
Reaction score
buerkletucson said:

OP...

I agree 100% the speed of The Ipad 4 is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

kingjust35

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Ipad 4 is a beautiful device, and as stated nobody really know when the Ipad 5 will be out, even though there are a lot of rumors and speculation employees at the Apple Store don't even know.I am happy with my Ipad 4 and you will be as well.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My suggestion is that, based on your stated concern, since the next major update to iOS (not 6.1, but 7.0) likely won't occur until the next update to iPad occurs (which could be March but could also be fall to November) your iPad 2 will not fall behind and since you are apparently ok with the iPad 2 now, you'd be happier long -term if you wait. I think there is a decent likihood that the next iPad will have features found in the current iPad mini, in terms of its outer body design. Also, if Apple changes the screen technology, then there is a decent chance it might be a bit lighter too. Of course, the iPad 4 is one powerful tablet, so you will not be "hurting" in any way by getting it now, but if you are happy now with your iPad 2, I'd hold out. Also, the iPad mini 2 might hit with a retina screen and faster internals by November, so you'd have an option for that as well.

Waiting is hard, though, but you have waited out the introduction of two.5 models (admittedly they were released within the same calender year) so you can likely hold out. It would be the bestest bet. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts