What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4 or nexus 10?

lvnatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am willing to sell my laptop because I am addicted to computer games (dota 2, total war series etc), especially that I'm at university and I need to keep focus on studies.
So I need a tablet for the occasional browsing, office editing/reading and especially for watching movies and TV shows (this is the most important aspect). I will get enough money from my laptop to buy the best thing out there, so budget isn't a problem.
So the Nexus 10 was my top interest so far, but I heard some of the devices have light bleeding (and I'm very sensible to display quality) and the resolution is actually too big, so the GPU is not powerful enough for it. There are some rumors a new nexus 10 will be unveiled by google with a quad core CPU and a better GPU, but I need a tablet now, not in 4 months or even later, especially that my country doesn't sell nexus devices on google play. Online stores in Romania just got the nexus 10 at the start of this month, so there's no way I'm gonna wait for the new one.
Then I had a look at the iPad 4: I absolutely loved the build quality and how it generally felt, everything was extremely smooth and it looked great, but the 4:3 aspect ratio is a total bummer, considering that I will watch a lot of movies. I tried to find a video to see how movies run on the ipad but had no luck.
Other tablets didn't seem to get me excited too much, was looking at the asus transformer t700 but it has outdated hardware and I heard its slower then the nexus 10.
So the question is, iPad 4 or Nexus 10?

As a side note, is jailbreak available for the 4? Is it generally easy to make?

RedCoil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sent back three defective Nexus 10s in a row. The third was even an open box that had already been returned once before. I ended up getting a iPad 4 and I'm very happy with it now that I've jail broken it. I would recommend staying away from the Nexus 10, there are some really severe quality control issues there.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad runs movies just fine, though they are a bit smaller than on the Nexus 10.

All IPS-type screens are going to have backlight bleed to one extent or another. You may wish to avoid tablets with IPS screens altogether if you have problems with even slight amounts of backlight bleed. Some is acceptable, but there is a point where you can have too much and it will ruin the screen totally. That's when you return the device. Otherwise, just because you can see some in a dark room with the screen on bright doesn't mean there is a problem.

Yeah, I have caught my Nexus 10 throttling down, in which case it starts dropping frames and acting all slow. The problem is if the room temps get too high, the CPU/GPU will throttle down. I happened to have a cermic heater running and blowing air right on me while playing a game. Not on did the tablet get warm from the game, but the heater was driving the temps up. Then the game was all laggy. Lession: Keep the device cool.

This is a characteristic of devices with high-resolution screens and that are passively cooled (i.e., no internal fans). This is what we are asking for, since we want screens that let us read tiny text, yet we want the device to be light in weight. You might want to learn to aim a nice fan at the back of your device to see if that will help with cooling.

My Nexus 10, which I bought last December, is still running fine. It does have a bit more backlight bleed than my other tablets, but it doesn't bother me so I didn't bother returning it. I like the magnetic popoplug charger that you can get for it...you can charge it without having to plug it is.

If you ask me, on a tablet, once you go above about 250 ppi there is no need for more resolution. It won't improve text. I think the characters are essentially equivalent on most of the high-res tablets I have seen (Tranformer Infinite Pad, Kindle HD 8.9, iPad 3, Nexus 10). Thus, higher-resolution than this is actually a waste and will result in a hit to cooling, which can impact game play.

I do think the Nexus 10 feel good in my hands..and it has great speakers. But I don't like the plastic back on it. I can feel it vibrating when I play music or movies. Tap on the back with your figures and it feels cheap. Not that it is, it just feels that way.

If I were in the market right now, I'd wait if I could, to see the next iPad. I think it will have a housing similar to the one in the iPad mini...and I think that will make it much nicer to hold. It will probably be a bit lighter too, but it will likely keep the 4:3 screen, which for me is what I prefer. I'm not of the generation that can find watching movies on a tablet sufficient. I only do that when I have no other options. Then, any screen is sufficient - even my iPhone 4S's screen. :)

YMMV (= Your milage may vary).

Tiggy1993

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can the other tablets can they run hayday???

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tiggy1993

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do Google Nexus 10 run hayday ???

Sent from my iPad using iPF

neenaiphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google Nexus 10 is my personal choice, but if you wish to study buying either the nexus of iPad will not help you, rather you will be more addicted to them. Laptop can help you in your future projects etc.

bobthebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have both and they are both good but have some very fundamental differences.
the Nexus is 'plasticy' in feel - but rather than making it feel 'cheap', to me it feels LIGHTER. i haven't checked the actual weight but subjectively it feels like it's nearly HALF the weight of the iPad. this is very important if you plan on reading while lying down in bed, with the iPad my hand gets pretty tired and one night i actually nodded off to sleep while reading with it and bonked myself in the face... the aluminum back and solid construction on the iPad didn't feel like a bonus feature at that moment ;-)

as far as the screens go - i love the screens on both, but i do prefer the Nexus 10's 16:10 aspect ratio (or thereabouts) MUCH more than the iPad's 4:3 for almost everything - movies, comics etc. The iPad's screen is more vibrant and has better color definition (to me at least) but not by much IMHO.

BUT - none of that stuff has anything to do with the REAL difference between the two: to put it simply - one is OPEN and the other is CLOSED. that's a bit of an oversimplification of course but essentially its true.
what i mean by that is that loading content onto the Nexus is as easy as dragging and dropping to any external HD, Google doesn't much care WHAT you do with YOUR device once you've bought it and that makes a BIG difference if - like me - you download a lot of your content via Bittorrent sites.

My biggest gripe with the iPad is that it is quite a pain to load ANY content that DOESNT come thru iTunes onto it. this is of course Apple's way of channeling you into their media content distribution chains, which i find frustrating and annoying.

Also with the iPad you get NO ACCESS to the file structure of your machine - you can't even truly 'download' content from the Cloud (Dropbox etc) - you can only choose to 'open' it in an approved app... but then it is not directly available to other apps (unless they have built it in which is not always the case).

Another consideration if you're a developer is that the iPad will not under any circumstances allow you to compile any kind of code on it - so no Python scripting engines or anything like that.

One place where the iPad kicks the **** out of the Nexus tho, is the quality and variety of Apps that are available... iOS apps are beautiful and most of the time very well designed (Apple's SDK kind of insures that they are that way), while comparable Android apps - when available - often feel like a 'poor cousin' of their iOS equivalents. this is starting to change as the quality of Android apps improves but i suspect it will always be true. if you want a stark example of this check out the music production software available for iOS vs the pathetic offerings for Android.

Finally there is the major consideration of PRICE POINT! I paid around $325 for my Wi-Fi only 16GB Nexus 10 - the comparable iPad retina is $499... so about 60% more expensive.

there are further things i could say about the many many differences between iOS and Android (iOS NEEDS a REAL "Share" function!) - but that's a whole 'nother topic and you can search around for any of the 100000000 articles written about it on the web.

in summary i'd say that if you use a lot of 'self-obtained' content - i.e. Bittorrent movies, comics, apps etc - then you should really consider the Nexus. If that's not so important, then the iPad clearly has the better build quality and more quality apps (or you could jailbreak your iPad and get the best of both worlds!).

and if you only have $300 or so dollars to spend then it's a no brainer right?

that's it. if i've made any erroneous statements i apologize in advance - i'm still new to my iPad.

oh - and have fun! no matter what you get you'll find yourself digging the hell out of it.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i have both and they are both good but have some very fundamental differences.
the Nexus is 'plasticy' in feel - but rather than making it feel 'cheap', to me it feels LIGHTER. i haven't checked the actual weight but subjectively it feels like it's nearly HALF the weight of the iPad. this is very important if you plan on reading while lying down in bed, with the iPad my hand gets pretty tired and one night i actually nodded off to sleep while reading with it and bonked myself in the face... the aluminum back and solid construction on the iPad didn't feel like a bonus feature at that moment ;-)

as far as the screens go - i love the screens on both, but i do prefer the Nexus 10's 16:10 aspect ratio (or thereabouts) MUCH more than the iPad's 4:3 for almost everything - movies, comics etc. The iPad's screen is more vibrant and has better color definition (to me at least) but not by much IMHO.

BUT - none of that stuff has anything to do with the REAL difference between the two: to put it simply - one is OPEN and the other is CLOSED. that's a bit of an oversimplification of course but essentially its true.
what i mean by that is that loading content onto the Nexus is as easy as dragging and dropping to any external HD, Google doesn't much care WHAT you do with YOUR device once you've bought it and that makes a BIG difference if - like me - you download a lot of your content via Bittorrent sites.

My biggest gripe with the iPad is that it is quite a pain to load ANY content that DOESNT come thru iTunes onto it. this is of course Apple's way of channeling you into their media content distribution chains, which i find frustrating and annoying.

Also with the iPad you get NO ACCESS to the file structure of your machine - you can't even truly 'download' content from the Cloud (Dropbox etc) - you can only choose to 'open' it in an approved app... but then it is not directly available to other apps (unless they have built it in which is not always the case).

Another consideration if you're a developer is that the iPad will not under any circumstances allow you to compile any kind of code on it - so no Python scripting engines or anything like that.

One place where the iPad kicks the **** out of the Nexus tho, is the quality and variety of Apps that are available... iOS apps are beautiful and most of the time very well designed (Apple's SDK kind of insures that they are that way), while comparable Android apps - when available - often feel like a 'poor cousin' of their iOS equivalents. this is starting to change as the quality of Android apps improves but i suspect it will always be true. if you want a stark example of this check out the music production software available for iOS vs the pathetic offerings for Android.

Finally there is the major consideration of PRICE POINT! I paid around $325 for my Wi-Fi only 16GB Nexus 10 - the comparable iPad retina is $499... so about 60% more expensive.

there are further things i could say about the many many differences between iOS and Android (iOS NEEDS a REAL "Share" function!) - but that's a whole 'nother topic and you can search around for any of the 100000000 articles written about it on the web.

in summary i'd say that if you use a lot of 'self-obtained' content - i.e. Bittorrent movies, comics, apps etc - then you should really consider the Nexus. If that's not so important, then the iPad clearly has the better build quality and more quality apps (or you could jailbreak your iPad and get the best of both worlds!).

and if you only have $300 or so dollars to spend then it's a no brainer right?

that's it. if i've made any erroneous statements i apologize in advance - i'm still new to my iPad.

oh - and have fun! no matter what you get you'll find yourself digging the hell out of it.

Thank you for this summary. My only foray into the Android world was when I purchased an Amazon Kindle Fire HD 9" tablet. My rationalization buying this tablet was to see how an Android device worked, and take advantage of Amazon Prime--since I am an Amazon frequent shopper! This Kindle is really easy to use for all things you would want to buy from Amazon. The screen is as good as iPad's retina screen. The stereo speakers are incredible. But as far as usability for anything else, it is really difficult--I have the same apps on the Kindle as the IPad, and they don't appear the same. An example is using the US Today app--easier to view on an iPad.

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its better that ios is closed they have less crapy stuff on it then open android.
For people like us who just surfs the web emails ipad is fine.i have android tablet and i dont careif its open. Also after the jellybean 4.2.1 update there is no more flash unless you use chrome browser and Google chrome is bad.
My andriod tablet cant do flash.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts