What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Hard Reset" Questions

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't seem to determine if a Hard Reset proceedure is called when the home and sleep/on/off buttons are held simultaneously... until the screen blanks out - or until the screen blanks out AND then the Apple Logo comes back. I have ￿always been holding the buttons until the logo returns then letting go.

Today, after a couple of hard resets, I noticed that the background apps that were running when the reset was performed, were still showing in the multi-task bar afterwards. That completely contradicts what I had envisioned for a hard reset.

The first hard reset I tried to perform a while ago got things messed up more than before the reset - bunch of stuff missing in settings, apps would start briefly and show up on Multi-task bar, but wouldn't stay on the screen, etc.

So, what's the REAL story about this hard reset proceedure?

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:
OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. While I didn't mean to get us side-tracked by the use of the Multi-Tasking bar example, it is the only way I can think of to determine whether a serious hard reset/re-boot has taken place. (The links were interesting, but not pertanent to my question).

I'll try to investigate this matter more, otherwise, but just thought some here, with their application development experiences or the like, could help me understand exactly what a Hard Reset does. At this point, I have absolutely no way of determining that it is in any way different from just turning the iPad off and turning it back on... or going into SBSettings (as I can) and selecting a "Reboot."

Coming from a completely PC related background, my understanding about the "reboot" process is looking to be different from iOS. There, dropping the power and/or calling for a reboot generally wipes out any indication of any running processes or application usage before the event. If a Hard Reset doesn't do something similar, then I doubt its effectiveness in fixing problems in the running state, as so often is touted and recommended.

So, it's still a mystery, and hopefully, I can get some convincing information on this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good luck. Let us know if you find anything out.

Apple only recommends a reset (there is no hard reset) if you can't restart; so in theory it probably doesn't do much more. All evidence otherwise (to my knowledge) is accidental. Because it had never been reported to cause a problem (again, to my knowledge) I generally recommend it if a restart does not work.

You are the first person I've heard say they had problems after a reset; at least any more problems than they had before the reset. That you are jailbroken introduces another variable, but I don't know enough to guess whether it could make a difference. Maybe one of the jailbreak experts can chime in on that.

Again, good luck with the investigation.

OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AndraCavanagh said:
It's just a list of recent apps, with no indication of which ones are still in RAM

For this response, I think the point has been missed again, and I'll not try to explain the reason (again) for my original post, other than please re-read and try to understand what I was getting at before telling me something I already know.

Twerppoet,

The term "Hard Reset" is still in common use, but I suppose you are correct. However, as far as terminology goes, there is also the confusion of the "Resets" that are applied from the settings menu. And yes, after the reset that came out funky, another reset straightened things out. That was the original "episode" that made me wonder about the actual button pushing timeing in the first place.

Nothing has been so bad that I couldn't just swear and threaten, and have it get better. Thankful for that.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For this response, I think the point has been missed again, and I'll not try to explain the reason (again) for my original post, other than please re-read and try to understand what I was getting at before telling me something I already know.

Pretty sure the AndraCavanagh post was the nightly quote-bot attack. You'll learn to recognize them soon. Just ignore.

I used to do a lot of work with PBX and T1 equipment. I'm familiar with the various flavors of resets, boot straps, and all the old tricks of getting your equipment back online; so I knew what you meant. The only reason I mentioned it was to help keep the terms consistent for others who might think there was yet another reset method. That, and I do have this pedant who gets out of the cage now and then.

Yes, the resets in the menu can be confusing. I 'think' I've got down what each does, but I'm sure there are a few surprises still in the nooks and crannies.

As for the button press timing, long long ago when I first showed up here someone said something about interrupts, and that the reset timing should only take 7 seconds. That seemrf to work at the time, for some initial states. Other times you have to wait out the power off slider. Like you, I generally hold it until I see the Apple Logo. Holding it too much longer has (once I think) resulted in it not rebooting. That was solved by just doing the reset again.

I haven't played with it since.

Again, Good luck.

Most reactions