What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Handbrake-heeeeeeelp

LEG1ON

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if i have posted in the wrong thread, I have been trying to encode 720p films for my ipad with handbrake, but i cannot seem to get the AR right. I would like all of my movies to be at 1024x576 but no matter how i try i cant get it right, the only one that has come out right is Avatar. I AM AT MY WITS END NOW. Could someone lend a hand to this old noob please.

Thanks

rwilts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why worry, I encode everything set at 'Original' Apple tv setting and watch on 1st gen apple tv , 2nd gen apple tv and 1st gen iPad.

OP
L

LEG1ON

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the info, but i would still like to know how to get 1024x576 just for the sake of it now.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i've been getting a lot of my dvd collection ready for my new ipad using handbrake and dvdshrink (both free).

1) copy or re-author the dvd film to my hard drive using dvdshrink
2) take that resulting VOB into handbrake, select 'ipad' setting, then set the other stuff to 'as original'
3) convert.

this automatically gives me on or around 1024 pixels, at around 1.4 gb per 2 hour movie, and the whole process takes around half hour on my compute. i've got 20+ movies ready to sinc :)

Last edited:
OP
L

LEG1ON

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When i saw avatar on my ipad i was blown away as how good it looked (small black bars on the top and bottom) so i seem to have my heart set on that AR.
I have tried all different settings, some seem to be stretched to much and others are to small the viewing area. So i dont want to sound rude and i appreciate your help but this is the resolution i would like to encode my movies to. So i would if possible like to know how to achieve this resolution.

@sjleworthy Thanks.
@rwilts Thanks.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
what is the original aspect of the film/dvd in question? you can only go by that info.

you cant just automatically re-size to 1024x768 if that isn't the correct and original aspect in the first place. doing this ratio (4:3) will usually mean a black bar top and bottom (or a nasty crop). and if it's 16:9 wide screen you'll have an extra big black bar top and bottom. consider the anamorphic effect.
you can of course manually re-crop and change this aspect and amount of black top/bottom strips, but this usually means playing around and having experience in knowing what you're doing.
it's surprising how many dvd's you buy these days have so many different aspect ratios that you're not automatically aware of.
dont just assume you can fit everything automatically into a standard nicely packaged 4:3 (1024x768) a.r. just because you view it at a certain ar doesn't mean it rips at the same viewing aspect.

Last edited:
OP
L

LEG1ON

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, i thing your right i will not be able to get the resolution. I have done a few sample`s and have seem to got it as near as i can to what i want or can get (1024x432) i think thats the nearest i will get. I would like to thank you all for your input :)

Most reactions

Latest posts