What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Handbrake cannot rip DVD to iPad3, seriously?

mamameya

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

Recently Ive decided to backup my DVD collection with the intent on converting the main movie into H264, MP4 for easy playback of the film on my new iPad (iPad3). I have had success with a few movies so the process seems ok, but it doesn’t with some other.
Ive been using Handbrake to load the dvd folder, I select the whole movie, then choose the output file format, MP4 files, H264 codec.
Heres what gets me, sometimes Ill get the movie in two parts, one is always about 2.0gb and the other part is a few hundred Megabytes. Anyone have an idea as to why this is or a solution for this problem? Thanks in advance.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get makemkv and use it to rip your DVDs to mkv. Then you can play those with av player hd.

Makemkv will let you choose which stuff on the DVD you want, so you can leave out menus, extras, and sound tracks, subtitles you don't want.

Having said all that, i still manage to get good rips with handbrake, but I rip to m4v rather than mkv when using handbrake. Also most of my rips are from blu ray when using handbrake.

I've never had any split files as you mention. What is are you using? I seem to recall that some os'es have a file size limit, but I don't remember it being 2gb.

Hth, a bit.

Last edited:

DEATHGUYJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can Use a program called DVD decrypter on protected DVDs google it to find a download for it

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Makemkv removes copy protection. Handbrake does not, at least for blu ray.

Shylock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still haven'nt found a answer for this, but after you rip a movie, how do you get it to the iPad? Say for instance I want to go to the moon and take some movies and mp3s with me and won't have wifi or 3G to watch them from Dropbox.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is one method to do it (I don't personally do it this way but I'm feeling lazy this morning, sorry):

Apple iPad Tablet: How to Transfer Videos to the iPad
[h=3]How to Transfer Videos to the iPad[/h]
Watching movies and TV shows with iPad big screen is very perfect for us. But how to transfer Videos to the iPad.

It's easy for you to transferr your video files onto the iPad by iTunes.

Connect your iPad to new computer --> Open iTunes --> in its left sidebar, click on your iPad --> click on the Movies or TV Shows tab --> in the checkbox, checkmark Synch Movies or Sync TV Shows --> Click the checkboxes next to the individual movies and TV show episodes you want on your iPad --> Click Apply or Sync bottom.

D

dvdcatalyst

Hello all,

Recently Ive decided to backup my DVD collection with the intent on converting the main movie into H264, MP4 for easy playback of the film on my new iPad (iPad3). I have had success with a few movies so the process seems ok, but it doesn’t with some other.
Ive been using Handbrake to load the dvd folder, I select the whole movie, then choose the output file format, MP4 files, H264 codec.
Heres what gets me, sometimes Ill get the movie in two parts, one is always about 2.0gb and the other part is a few hundred Megabytes. Anyone have an idea as to why this is or a solution for this problem? Thanks in advance.

Enable the Large Files checkmark.

Many devices, especially ones with SD cards, don't like files larger than 2GB.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fat32 will impose a 4GB file size limit. Most SD cards are formatted fat32.

D

dvdcatalyst

Fat32 will impose a 4GB file size limit. Most SD cards are formatted fat32.

On computers and some newer devices, yes, but many portable devices that support SD cards, even recent Android devices like the NOOK color and the NOOK tablet, and even the Kindle Fire (that doesn't have an SD slot), don't like files over 2GB in size.

Shylock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you, but I tossed the IPAD and now have the new samsung 10.1 It rocks frankly, and plays flash and everything else I want it to.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Helen16 said:
Well, Handbrake doesn't handle DTS audio tracks or single VOB files. If you have a DVD-ROM with random video files saved on it (AVI, MPG, WMV, MOV, etc), Handbrake won't be able to convert these files. So I usually use enolsoft as a complement to convert my DVD movies.

Why not? I converted a Wmv file with handbrake the other day. It worked just fine.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
thank you, but I tossed the IPAD and now have the new samsung 10.1 It rocks frankly, and plays flash and everything else I want it to.

Best of luck flash is no longer supported on mobile devices by Adobe so enjoy while you can also playing movies on an iPad is not an issue it just works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts