What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Handbrake and .AVI files.

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all.

On my Windows PC I have several movies in the .AVI format. I If I have read correctly iPad will not read the.AVI format. I have also read in a number of posts in this forum that a program called "Handbrake" can be used to make the .AVI format readable by iPad.

I have searched for the "Handbrake" APP and found one, but it appears that the "Handbrake" that I found deals with monies and calculation and the like rather than video conversions.

Would someone please verify my above comments and let me know how I can lay my hands the the [correct] version of "Handbrake"......Is that program free? ;)

Regards

morewasted

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Janset,

I use an app called Movie Player that handles just about any format you throw at it. It's in the App Store. The free version is all you need.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clarify - Handbrake is not an app that you get from the App Store, it is a program you install on your PC or Mac to do the conversion of a movie to iPad-readable format.*

See Rends post above for the website to visit to download the program. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Rends, I will check out your site, if I have any problems I will post again.

Thanks Mickey for clearing that up. I thought it was a APP <:)

Regards

The_teacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Instead of converting I bought an app for 3 bucks called AV Player HD and it plays avi's fine. All you do is hook up your ipad to your computer through itunes, click on your ipad apps tab in itunes, scroll down to the app Av player hd and you add files that way. It works great and saved me a ton of time by not having to convert. Youtube it if youd like to see it in action.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The_teacher said:
Instead of converting I bought an app for 3 bucks called AV Player HD and it plays avi's fine. All you do is hook up your ipad to your computer through itunes, click on your ipad apps tab in itunes, scroll down to the app Av player hd and you add files that way. It works great and saved me a ton of time by not having to convert. Youtube it if youd like to see it in action.

It won't work.This app is for transferring existing video files to your iPad.You still have to use a program such as handbrake to put your DVD on the computer in the first place.

Most reactions

Latest posts