What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hand-writing notes in margins of a PDF?

snowcrash101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

I'm convincing myself to buy the latest Ipad because of its retina display, 4:3 aspect ratio, ideal for reading PDF articles.
Though I'd also like to annotate pdfs and I'm aware of apps such as iAnnotate.

But how good is the ipad with a capacitive stylus at hand-writing, especially, on the margins of a pdf doc? Assuming you'd have zoom in and hand-write. Is there a lag when writing on screen, will it be clearly displayed on the pdf (say when transferred over to a pc). Just wondering how usuable it will be in practice.

Thanks for any advice

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the capacitive stylus and iannotate with .pdf files. I would not rely on this to make detailed notes. It is fine for a few words here and there. It is also good for highlighting text and underlines or arrows and such. Ultimately, the capacitive stylus is, in my experience, not precise enough to use for detailed handwriting. To be clear, do not take this as a shortcoming on the app. I consider this a basic limitation of capacitive devices and styli, in general.

Regarding lag, there is none that I can percieve.

Last edited:

Most reactions