What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hacker making Problems- Any Advice? 22/6/20

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello J.A. and All!
Well, J.A., looks like we (couldn’t have done it so fast without you!) put a stop to the hacker using TV Provider on my iPads! Yay!

But, today I have two issues to take care of, namely, (remember I’m using a 5th Generation iPad, if it matters?)

- I can’t turn on Location Services. I usually have it turned off, except for a very few apps that need it, e.g. taxi services like Uber, OK? The path I used was Settings->Privacy->Location Services. I went there, and the toggle switch beside Location Services was faded and would not toggle at all. Nor will Location Alerts toggle (faded) and Share My Location does not respond. I looked at the User Guide, it tells you how to use Location Services, but not what to do if it’s not working normally!

The only thing I could think of was Settings->Reset->Reset Location and Privacy. Reset Network Settings *could* be a (probably distant second) choice.

I’m wondering if I’m on the right track or if someone has a better solution? Thanks!

If you go to Settings, the left hand pane has lots of Apps. Tap one, and details are shown in the right hand pane. One option on the right side is ‘Background App Refresh’, with a toggle beside it. For most (I think all) of these Apps, the toggle on my iPad is faded- same like Location Services, above. It doesn’t seem to matter if it’s a native Apple App, e.g. Stocks, or 3rd party Apps like Wikipedia or my VPN.

BTW, just in passing, Background App Refresh, I assumed, kept the App running in the background, to be always up to date. Does it have any other effects on the iPad?

To conclude, I have *no idea* how to enable Background App Refresh. If someone does, I would be extremely grateful if they could share their solution with me!!

Thanks again!

p.s. How can I get rid of this miserable so-and-so? Really! I’ve had enough of this nonsense!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To be able to use Location Services, if needed, go to Settings - ScreenTime - Content & Privacy Restrictions and make sure Location Services is allowed.

Resetting Location & Privacy should help, resetting your network settings will just remove your Wi-Fi connections and passwords, cellular connections, VPN and APN. It will not help with Location Services.

Background App Refresh doesn‘t update your apps, it allows them to refresh content in the background. If you don‘t use that feature, apps will be in a suspended state, not using any resources. With Background App Refresh enabled, those apps will look for new content, using system resources.
To enable Background App Refresh, go to Settings - General. You‘ll find it there.

If you wish to update apps automatically, go to Settings - your name - iTunes & App Store, and enable App Updates.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
J.A., Thanks!

I got Location Services going, based on your advice. Oddly, when I got to Contact and Privacy Restrictions->Location Services, ticking ‘Don’t Allow Changes,’ disabled Location Services, but ticking ‘Allow Changes’ enabled Location Services.

I don’t know if there are any implications/risks associated with that.

As to Background App Refresh, I found it, but it was still unusable- all toggles faded.

But progress was made with Location Services!

BTW, just in passing, I went to Settings->General->Reset and tapped ‘Reset Location and Privacy.’ A message popped up that said, ‘This will reset your location and privacy settings to factory defaults.’ So I go ahead. It didn’t work at all; I mean the things the hacker had done remained. Obviously it shouldn’t work that way.

To conclude, thanks again, J.A., you’ve helped me a lot, your kindness restores my faith in humanity, which has been knocked back by the hacker, AKA hostile entity.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got both of the problems worked out! . BTW, just in passing, about Background App Activities, the path I followed was Settings->Screen time->Content & Privacy Restrictions, and I found both Background App Activities *and* TV Provider at the bottom of the menu on that page. Success!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unless you share your iPad with other people or kids, and are worried about what they may do on that iPad, there are few reasons to have any restrictions turned on, or turn on restrictions at all.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, twerppoet, I agree with what you say about Restrictions. Perhaps the hacker is up to the usual nonsense.

Currently, if I go to Settings->[My Name]->Apple ID-> Sign Out is disabled, it says ‘Sign Out is not available due to Restrictions.’ I’ll see if I can work that out...

And for the last 9 hours or so, I’ve been unable to login to Appleid.apple.com, too. Message says ‘Can’t connect to Server.’

I’m sure Apple didn’t do that!

There’s always a way forward!

Most reactions

Latest posts