What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grey screen when searching internet

matchett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help pls....when i goggle i can search, but when the results show up the screen is "greyed out" and i can't select the website i want?? Any thoughts? Everything else is working fine....

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Strange.

Go into Settings, Safari and clear your History, Cookies, and Cache. It's a good time to check you other settings too. I block pop-ups, which helps keep some annoyances at bay.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another possibility is that you accidentally touched the screen using a 'gesture' and Safari thinks you want to copy the contents of the screen. The screen is then grayed to indicate what will be copied. Touch the screen briefly to exit this condition.

I've also found that forcing the Safari app to quit and then restarting it can fix some 'problems'. To do that, double-tap the 'Home' button to reveal the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen (assuming you have iOS 4.2). This bar shows the apps that are currently running. Press *and hold* any app and, after a while, all the app icons will start to 'jiggle' and have a cross in their upper left-hand corner. Press the cross on the Safari icon and the app will quit (don't be worried, you're not deleting it, only closing it). Now tap the Home button or Home screen to hide the multi-task bar and restart Safari and try that Google search again.

Tim
Scotland

patroche99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had the same problem and the double hit of the home button and then holding the safari icon and then clicking the minus sign (it didn't show up as a cross) after the jiggling solved the problem. Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
i had the same problem and the double hit of the home button and then holding the safari icon and then clicking the minus sign (it didn't show up as a cross) after the jiggling solved the problem. Thanks

Heh? you are right. I never noticed that you got a minus instead of an x. Just hit the red thing and went on my way. Makes sense though.

kkinAZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Tim Spracklen - yes, it was a "-" sign, not a "cross", but it worked!!!

essexman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another possibility is that you accidentally touched the screen using a 'gesture' and Safari thinks you want to copy the contents of the screen. The screen is then grayed to indicate what will be copied. Touch the screen briefly to exit this condition.

I've also found that forcing the Safari app to quit and then restarting it can fix some 'problems'. To do that, double-tap the 'Home' button to reveal the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen (assuming you have iOS 4.2). This bar shows the apps that are currently running. Press *and hold* any app and, after a while, all the app icons will start to 'jiggle' and have a cross in their upper left-hand corner. Press the cross on the Safari icon and the app will quit (don't be worried, you're not deleting it, only closing it). Now tap the Home button or Home screen to hide the multi-task bar and restart Safari and try that Google search again.

Tim
Scotland
Excellent tip and worked for me, many thanks.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a wonder that so many iPad owners have a gazillion apps open at the same time and never realize it!

Apple should modify the OS so all apps shut down when one turns the iPad off with the power button. It would take less time than shutting down the apps one by one...

DumbledorBoB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Too much resetting (!)

I have been using an iPad where I work as a computer tech for about a year now, plus can take it home to use it there as well. It has become way too much of a practice to clear the greyed Safari screen (5-10 times a week, but twice tonight just joining the forums to post my comments) -- and worse, going in to "Renew lease" on my wireless sometimes as often as at 5 to 10 minute intervals to get connected again. Even when I am within 5' of the WAP and am the only user ( I have a program on my laptop showing signal strength and number of users on the WAPs).
I'm starting to shop around with all the competing tablets starting to blanket the field, but I would prefer Apple get it together so this iPad becomes a more polished device.

kookers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks!

This is the greatest help I've ever gotten from the internet. Saved me tons of time! Thanks so much, Tim! :)

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have the same problem but I get to the jiggle all the other apps have a cross but not Safari

If you are seeing a cross, you are not doing it right. You are about to delete the app from the iPad, not clear it from the multitask list. Since the stock apps like Safari can not be deleted, they will have no x.

Double tap the home button and a bar of apps should appear at the bottom of the screen. Tap an hold on these until they jiggle. They will have the minus sign, and you tap on it to clear them from the list.

If you don't' get he multitask bar, then you are probably not running iOS 4.x or higher. Check under Settings > General > About and see what version you have.

capecodmermaid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried all those tips and my screen is still grey. When I do the jiggle thing all the apps except safari mail photos and ipad jiggle.
Is there another way to fix it?
Please help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You need to double tap the home button first and get the multitask bar at the bottom; otherwise you are about to delete the app. I you don't see the app try scrolling the bar. If you can not get the multitask bar check your iOS version under Settings > General > About. You must be on at least iOS 4.x to use multitasking.

MultitaskBar.jpg

Another thing you can try is to go to Settings > Safari and clear cookies and data.

gethooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Grey screen not going away after safari app closed

The problem started initially with a website I was once able to access on my ipad, but recently was getting the MSG 'safari cannot open page, server not found'. after a few Internet searches I changed my DSN to 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220. Now I'm able to get on the website but when I open a link on the page it brings up a grey screen. I tried deleting the safari app as suggested, as well as clearing cookies, history, and data. Still not working (though that link did work before under the old DSN). Do need to get this to work ASAP, as I have a limited time to use this site. Any thoughts?

Most reactions