What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari stopped working

Izzybeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This afternoon while using Google Reader, Safari stopped working. It will bring up Google Reader, but it's not updating the page and the whole page is grayed over it and I can't use the touch screen at all. I've been able to search for other websites and get them to come up, but they are also grey and I can't use the touch screen to move around on them.

Everything else seems to be working fine. Any suggestions?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The general advice that you'll see quoted all over the Forum to 'fix' unexpected problems (and, in any case, a good and easy first step) is to reset (i.e. turn completely on and off) the iPad.

Most people just (briefly) press the 'Power' button when they've finished using their iPad, which only puts it to sleep.

To turn it completely off you need to press *and hold* the 'Power' button for a couple of seconds until the slider control appears on the screen inviting you to slide it to allow the iPad to turn off. Accept the invitation. You'll see a rotating white 'bezel' in the centre of the screen for a few seconds as the iPad turns off.

Once the screen is completely blank, press *and hold* the 'Power' button again until the white Apple logo appears in the middle of the screen. The iPad will then power up. During this power up (it takes about 10-15 seconds) the automatic screen orientation is not active, so don't panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete the iPad plays a short 'jingle' and then it returns to the 'Home' screen.

Try Safari again now. This 'technique' seemes to 'cure' a whole raft of iPad 'illnesses' and, in any case, even Apple recommend that you switch the iPad off completely every week or so. It's a bit like switching your PC off occasionally.

Interestingly, in another discussion, several Forum members said that they always switched their iPads completely off when they finished using it, but probably that's too much of a hassle for most of us.

Anyway, I hope this fixes the problem. If it still persists let us know and I'm sure someone will think of some other solutions.

Good Luck.

Tim
Scotland

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had Safari seize up as well. Simply use the task switcher to kill it, and restart.

OP
I

Izzybeff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, whatever the problem is, it resolved itself. Later that night it started working and I haven't had a problem since then. I'm sure it has something to do with my fat fingers!

Most reactions

Latest posts