What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings from Detroit

chesterhound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone:

I am recently retired and going back to college. I am not an iPad owner yet but hope to purchase one in the next month. I will be using the iPad for online classes and internet access. I plan on getting the 3G but not sure of the size yet. I hope to make my decision with the help of the forum.

Thanks,
chesterhound

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
greetings fellow Detroiter.
Not to put a damper on things but a net book would be a better choice for a college device IMO.these things are pretty much toys/adjuncts to daily life.as stated,designed for content consumption not creation.wouldn't want to try to read a text book on one of these either.just an FYI.:)

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome Chesterhound,

I think reading a textbook on an ipad would be just fine - I read on mine all the time.
If you are going to be writing papers for your class, you will be happier with an external keyboard than with the on screen one.
Good luck and keep us posted!

I still miss going to Lafayette Coney Island after Tigers games... we only get back to Detroit during the holidays.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Chester,

The iPad will work great, but you should spend time with before buying. I use mine for work all the time and have not turned on my Dell laptop since launch day. There are other students in the forum that should be able to help. Good luck, btw I'm in Washington TWP and rocked with Kid Rock last night at DTE.

OP
C

chesterhound

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses and nice to see my fellow Michiganders here! I am aware of the limitations of the iPad and I will have access to a MacBook if necessary. The research I have done so far shows the iPad is capable of most required things most of the time. And that coupled with the built in, no contract 3G is very appealing. What I am having trouble with is deciding what capacity would be best suited. The 32GB seems to be the best choice, but I'm not sure the 16GB wouldn't work. Again, thanks for all your welcomes!

chesterhound

Most reactions