What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gps

Rebecca1153

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to download some GPS apps but all that popped up was this app requires GPS. What does that mean?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a wifi only iPad, you don't have GPS. You could try MotionX GPS HD. I'm led to believe it works without the GPS chip, but when I turned my GPS off to experiment, it didn't appear to work.

rickwinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My understanding (based on reading here someplace a while back) is that you will need a dedicated GPS antenna, i.e., w/bluetooth connection.

In the iPhone the chip is in the phone; for iPad usage of GPS the antenna provides the chip.

Via edit -

For example: http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electronics-XGPS150A-Universal-Bluetooth/dp/B006M49G80/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370959855&sr=8-1&keywords=ipad+gps+antenna

You don't need any special antenna to use GPS on an iPad, all you need is a WiFi+cellular iPad. The antenna built into the iPad is all you'll need. If you have a WiFi only iPad, a GPS unit that can link with the iPad via Bluetooth will enable you to view the GPS info on the screen of your iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need any special antenna to use GPS on an iPad, all you need is a WiFi+cellular iPad. The antenna built into the iPad is all you'll need. If you have a WiFi only iPad, a GPS unit that can link with the iPad via Bluetooth will enable you to view the GPS info on the screen of your iPad.

I have a Wifi only iPad. How do I get A GPs

You're going to need a GPS unit that can connect to your iPad via Bluetooth, as I mentioned in my previous post. The WiFi only iPads do not have built in GPS.

nickcc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all just joined. I have the ipad 4 wifi only and have bought a Huawei Mifi on the 3 network and also downloaded the Map + app as this will let me use the ipad as a sat nav in Spain.

Most reactions

Latest posts