What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS Maps Apps

Saundman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Drove from San Francisco Bay area to Disneyland (LA) over the 4th of July weekend. Had a Magellan GPS but also used the MotionX GPS Drive HD on the trip down. Both gave me turn by turn voice instructions to my destination. Both recalculated the route when I left the path. I could shut down my iPad, then turn it back on, and MotionX with find our location and continue on to the destination. Also, you can search for places to eat and travel there, then back to your path. We used Google Maps on the way back. You just don’t have the turn by turn voice but works good. Now I wish to have a mount for the iPad in the car.

rsava

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I give MotionX GPS Drive HD two thumbs up also. I am currently on a trip in New England and have been using 3 GPS units (my HTC Hero phone with Sprint Navigation, a Navigon standalone unit, and the iPad with MotionX) while driving around in unfamiliar territory. All are set to give directions with the same parameters (i.e. Fastest route, avoid tolls, etc). All give about the same directions, the Navigon and the Sprint give an exit for my sister's house that is shorter but not faster. The MotionX give the exit that my sister says is a bit longer but everyone uses it because it is faster.
All three recalculate rather quickly, the Navigon a tad quicker than the other two.
The MotionX is easier to enter address or destinations.
The screen on the iPad obviously gives a much better view :D but I like the "lane" screen on the Navigon. I am going to request that on MotionX.
I also used a TomTom before I got my Hero and all three of these is head and shoulders above that.

For now, MotionX is going to be my GPS of choice and I will probably be subscribing for a year to get the turn by turn.

Navigon is a pricy app but its the best GPS nevigation app there is and it is a one time price with no monthly service fee's.

MikesToolz, how does the Navigon work full screen on the iPad? I can only find the iPhone version.

Is it pixelated? Do you use Full Force? I don't mind paying for a good GPS and I do like Navigon.

R Sava

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I give MotionX GPS Drive HD two thumbs up also. I am currently on a trip in New England and have been using 3 GPS units (my HTC Hero phone with Sprint Navigation, a Navigon standalone unit, and the iPad with MotionX) while driving around in unfamiliar territory. All are set to give directions with the same parameters (i.e. Fastest route, avoid tolls, etc). All give about the same directions, the Navigon and the Sprint give an exit for my sister's house that is shorter but not faster. The MotionX give the exit that my sister says is a bit longer but everyone uses it because it is faster.
All three recalculate rather quickly, the Navigon a tad quicker than the other two.
The MotionX is easier to enter address or destinations.
The screen on the iPad obviously gives a much better view :D but I like the "lane" screen on the Navigon. I am going to request that on MotionX.
I also used a TomTom before I got my Hero and all three of these is head and shoulders above that.

For now, MotionX is going to be my GPS of choice and I will probably be subscribing for a year to get the turn by turn.

Navigon is a pricy app but its the best GPS nevigation app there is and it is a one time price with no monthly service fee's.

MikesToolz, how does the Navigon work full screen on the iPad? I can only find the iPhone version.

Is it pixelated? Do you use Full Force? I don't mind paying for a good GPS and I do like Navigon.

R Sava

Yeah its iphone app I'll post some screen shots. They say they are still looking into making an iPad specific version but not sure if they will or not. I bug them about it maybe once a week.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 278
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 263
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 258
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 232
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

Star56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does the iPad work as a GPS without an antenna, etc.?

The 3G Ipad has an antenna. What is the etc? It has a GPS built in and a GPS antenna built in. It works perfectly as a GPS.

TFarmer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
star56, so only the 3G works as a GPS? I only have WiFi. WIll that work at all? I have GPS' built in my Lexus and a Garmin for my truck so I don't really have to have another one.

Star56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
star56, so only the 3G works as a GPS? I only have WiFi. WIll that work at all? I have GPS' built in my Lexus and a Garmin for my truck so I don't really have to have another one.

Yes you are correct. Only the 3G has a built in GPS.

The Wifi unit can do some crude triangulation location analysis using Wifi signals but nothing as accurate as the GPS in the 3G.

cobra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Wifi + 3G Ipad I have very poor 3G service in my area. Do the GPS apps require 3G service to work. The google earth maps do require an internet connection to work.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do You Have To Have 3G Service to Get GPS?

I thought that would be an obvious answer but on second thought I decided I would see if GPS works with out 3G running.

Thanks for getting me off the couch and walking down the street. (A lot of my neighbors have wifi and too many of them are not password protected!)

I can confirm that you need 3G service in order to have GPS service.

Star56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought that would be an obvious answer but on second thought I decided I would see if GPS works with out 3G running.

Thanks for getting me off the couch and walking down the street. (A lot of my neighbors have wifi and too many of them are not password protected!)

I can confirm that you need 3G service in order to have GPS service.

Matt,

Your wrong if you mean that you need to be subscribed to a 3G service. 3G is not needed for the GPS to work. You only need 3G for downloading maps. If you have the maps loaded the GPS will function fine without 3G service.

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to clarify:

While a WiFi-only iPad will work with maps, it will only put your location on the map based on what the properties are for the network to which you are attached. So, if you are sitting in your house, it probably will have your house. If you are sitting in Starbucks, and attached to their wifi network, then it should know where that network is and put you at that location.

In order to have maps follow you around, as in moving down the road and seeing it on the map, you need a 3G iPad. The 3G iPad has both the GPS recvr as well as the 3G radio. The GPS rcvr is pretty pinpoint and uses the GPS satellites orbiting the earth. The 3G radio positioning uses the towers to triangulate your position in the event that there isn't a good GPS signal.

Anil_Trinidad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G is not needed for the GPS to work. You only need 3G for downloading maps. If you have the maps loaded the GPS will function fine without 3G service.

Star56 Thanks for that note. I was wondering about that. How do I load the maps (using wifi), then? I'm in Trinidad in the Caribbean.

Last edited:

KILLERkpd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MotionX Drive looks real slick. At $2.99 the price is awesome. Downloading now to try it out. Much better app than MapQuest 4 Mobile!

Piko

Downloading now, I will try it out tonight....

Most reactions

Latest posts