What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS Maps Apps

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends what your need is, for turn by turn verbal directions I've used the at&t navigator app I also have on my iphone, on my ipad. But otherwise my favorite is just the maps app. It's not perfect, but I've yet to use a GPS app that is, but I like that you can actually view the map while getting directions, instead of the having the whole page taken over with text directions like some apps.

I've used a couple others and didn't like them.

papa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google nav on the droid was awesome. Loved it. I got something like motion drive HD on the iPad and meh...

It kinda sucks, but supposed be one of the best.

2 apps I miss most from droid is google nav and google directory. Anything comparable to those for the iPad ?

r1200gsa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am very, VERY, satisfied with MOTIONX GPS DRIVE. $2.99.

I have used it on 4 business trips already since getting it a couple of weeks ago, (California, North Dakota, Pennsylvania & Louisiana). I have a Garmin 376c that I use on the Boat, Motorcycle & other Vehicles, that I would take with me. Now, it stays at home and I get buy very well with this app. Works BETTER than advertised.

Star56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A bit of a correction for my comment of several hours ago. I just downloaded the update to the MotionX GPS Drive APP. It is significantly improved. The split screen now contains lots of information and is superior in many ways to the Co-Pilot HD setup. I drove around for a while using the update and I am very impressed.

cmalinowski

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While motionx drive is only $2.99, you only get one month of turn-by-turn for that if I am not mistaken. It's a service-based pricing structure unless something changed.

I thought both motionx products were good for the price ($2.99), but still like the maps app that came with the iPad.

Just my thoughts.

Chris

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
The big difference between the turn by turn apps like Navigon and the google maps app that came on the iPad. Is the while google maps can give you directions, You must pay attention to it and click next after each turn. On navigon you enter location and it plans a route for you to take, tracks you as your travel in real time. Anounces the turns with the speaker before each turn so you know when you need to turn without even looking at the device. The navigon app goes a step further by even telling you what lanes you should be in. Navigon also will automaticaly recalculate a new route on its own if you miss a turn or turn the wrong way while google maps app wont.

Navigon is a pricy app but its the best GPS nevigation app there is and it is a one time price with no monthly service fee's.

Most reactions

Latest posts