What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS and Glonass

banjaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, got a question..... I'm thinking of getting an Ipad mini, I have an Ipad, Iphone already so I'm an Apple junkie lol!!! The reason I want the mini is for a large screen GPS and music device for my car. I am on the older side and find my portable GPS is just not big enough, the mini is perfect. Now for my question. Im getting the GPS, glonass Wi Fi cellular version. Can anyone tell me do I need to use my data plan to use this unit as a GPs/nav system? I thought with the GPS built in, with the right app it would behave as a regular GPS without the need to use my data. If this is true, would the built in map app work or would I need to purchase another app, if so what do you suggest. I sure hope I can make this work, the mini seems to be my perfect solution. thanks in advance folks.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, got a question..... I'm thinking of getting an Ipad mini, I have an Ipad, Iphone already so I'm an Apple junkie lol!!! The reason I want the mini is for a large screen GPS and music device for my car. I am on the older side and find my portable GPS is just not big enough, the mini is perfect. Now for my question. Im getting the GPS, glonass Wi Fi cellular version. Can anyone tell me do I need to use my data plan to use this unit as a GPs/nav system? I thought with the GPS built in, with the right app it would behave as a regular GPS without the need to use my data. If this is true, would the built in map app work or would I need to purchase another app, if so what do you suggest. I sure hope I can make this work, the mini seems to be my perfect solution. thanks in advance folks.

If you download the maps to your iPad, you won't be using data while using your GPS. There are several GPS apps that allow you to download maps for the areas you need.

OP
B

banjaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went 4 rounds with apple today, 4 different techs, they all swore that you cannot use an Ipad mini with the GPs without using data, even if you have a map program like the $40 TomTom. Its a pain, it would have made a perfect GPS. Back to the drawing board............I dont know enough about this to call them liars so I'm going to pass on buying one.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I went 4 rounds with apple today, 4 different techs, they all swore that you cannot use an Ipad mini with the GPs without using data, even if you have a map program like the $40 TomTom. Its a pain, it would have made a perfect GPS. Back to the drawing board............I dont know enough about this to call them liars so I'm going to pass on buying one.

Those Apple techs don't know what they're talking about. If your maps are downloaded to the iPad, you are not using any data while using GPS. I have a WiFi + cellular iPad 3 with the Navigon app. I've downloaded maps from the app to my iPad and have no trouble using the GPS to navigate. I have no data plan, in fact, there's not even a SIM card in the iPad.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple can likely only speak to Apple Maps, which uses data.

A Mini for navigation would be great in the car.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most of those apple store folks are so young they probably can't afford an iPad yet...so they don't use Nav apps like Navigon, Motion X Drive GPS, etc (they probably use Apple or Google Maps on their phones). These apps let you pre-download maps to your device so all you need is a GPS signal, which is free and not part of any service plan. You have to get the cellular version of the iPad because that is the only way to get the GPS chip built into the iPad. You don't need to buy cellular service for Nav.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I just use Waze as I really don't have the need for GPS navigation much, so not worried over the Data usage. If I traveled more I would likely make the
plunge into the actual paid app and the 1-2gig of storage it likely requires for local Maps.

intillzah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Garmin that I use for my navigation. So I don't use the maps apps at all anymore but I've used Motion X Drive GPS on my Ipad 1 and it worked great...

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am an applecare advisor and the ONLY time apps such as Navigon and TomTom would use data is if you were using a live traffic feature, if the app you are using has that feature. For basic navigation, after downloading maps, Navigon and such DO NOT require data.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally I just use Waze as I really don't have the need for GPS navigation much, so not worried over the Data usage. If I traveled more I would likely make the
plunge into the actual paid app and the 1-2gig of storage it likely requires for local Maps.

Most apps that let you store maps will allow you to pick which ones to put on your device. This lets you cut down on storage greatly.

OP
B

banjaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So to settle my noob brain.................If I download an app, say TOmTom, switch off wi fi, switch off my data I would be able to use it as a GPS without any data usage? Actually the dude in Best Buy said I could but as the Ipad mini is a bit pricey, I wanted to be sure. you guys make me quite confident that it will work for me. Thanks guys!!!!!

MEdwards

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I download an app, say TOmTom, switch off wi fi, switch off my data I would be able to use it as a GPS without any data usage?
Yes that is correct. I selected CoPilot Live as my automotive GPS app. I find it not as "refined" as my Garmin standalone GPS, but the large display is great and it works pretty well.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Believe me, you do not need a data connection for this to work. I do it all the time. Download your maps before you set out and you're good to go.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 to Intilliza, I find my Garmin much easier to use as is my TomTom. I have no eyesight problems as does the OP who advises he is on the older side. I'm only 70 and have no such problems.

Most reactions