What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS ability with the iPad3 wifi only

dnaber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the new iPad have the ability to perform as a true GPS? The developer for xmotion is saying this new iPad doesn't have the GPS chip set required. Are they correct?

Thanks
Don

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The GPS is part of the radio (3G/4G) chipsets if you only get a Wi-Fi pad you don't get a GPS sorry.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Wifi version of iPad does not have a GPS chip, as B00bie stated. The xMotion people are correct, of course.

However, if you get a GPS receiver, such as this one

Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone and Other Smartphones, Tablets and Laptops: Electronics

which will link with your iPad via a bluetooth connection, then you can make the wifi-only iPad GPS enabled. And actually, this solution offers some advantages over having the GPS chip inside the iPad, as you can position the receiver for optimal reception when in a car, which is a lot harder to do with an iPad. Also, you can use this receiver with other devices such as laptops.

If you want the navigation function, you will need to get a Nav app that has downloadable maps that are stored on the iPad. That way, you can navigate using a wifi-only ipad when you don't have a means to download maps (like on a 3G iPad).

HTHs.

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The wifi only models will use a modified service based on where you are using your wifi and other features. It is not accurate, nor reliable, but it beats having nothing. Even if I had not needed 3G/4G service, I would have gotten the 4G model just for the GPS.

Rends

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can locate you position on WiFi.
If i check my position in the maps app it locates me about 50m (150ft) from my real position.

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can locate you position on WiFi.
If i check my position in the maps app it locates me about 50m (150ft) from my real position.

Still nowhere near as accurate as GPS and, if there are no WiFi hotspots around, you're screwed.

Rends

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still nowhere near as accurate as GPS and, if there are no WiFi hotspots around, you're screwed.
Yep you got it but better than nothing. I have GPS in my car and mobilephone and no need to have it In my iPad. If you do go for the 4G version. Your choice.

rjreynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Wifi version of iPad does not have a GPS chip, as B00bie stated. The xMotion people are correct, of course.

However, if you get a GPS receiver, such as this one

Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for iPad 2, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone and Other Smartphones, Tablets and Laptops: Electronics

which will link with your iPad via a bluetooth connection, then you can make the wifi-only iPad GPS enabled. And actually, this solution offers some advantages over having the GPS chip inside the iPad, as you can position the receiver for optimal reception when in a car, which is a lot harder to do with an iPad. Also, you can use this receiver with other devices such as laptops.

Do you know if that device is Bluetooth 4.0 or does it even matter? I heard the new iPad with Bluetooth 4.0 limits battery drain, but I am not sure if both devices have to be Bluetooth 4.0 devices for the benefits.

Hnhassan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a similar GPS add on that plugs on the bottom of my iPad 3 wifi only version.

Yes it does work as a sat nav device, although the satellites may take a little time to kick in at first.

Here are some things to bear in mind. Firstly there is no active traffic... Which to me is important if you're around a city with loads of traffic. Simply because you need a 3G. If you're not sure what active traffic is,it basically tells you where there is expected or reported traffic on your route and based on this, your sat nav software will re-route your journey.

Also, a lot of mounts you'll find out there is quite flimsy and the iPad shakes like it's going to fall off.

All in all I have stopped using it as a sat nav, simply because a) I need active traffic. B) I can't be bothered to plug in all the gadgets like bracket, and GPS receiver to get it to work, it's easier to just plant my iPhone and it's all working. Of course you don't get the big screen which is a great shame!

If I knew how this worked, I would have gotten an iPad 3 with GPS/4G but without a plan... Oh well.

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hnhassan said:
I bought a similar GPS add on that plugs on the bottom of my iPad 3 wifi only version.

Yes it does work as a sat nav device, although the satellites may take a little time to kick in at first.

Here are some things to bear in mind. Firstly there is no active traffic... Which to me is important if you're around a city with loads of traffic. Simply because you need a 3G. If you're not sure what active traffic is,it basically tells you where there is expected or reported traffic on your route and based on this, your sat nav software will re-route your journey.

Also, a lot of mounts you'll find out there is quite flimsy and the iPad shakes like it's going to fall off.

All in all I have stopped using it as a sat nav, simply because a) I need active traffic. B) I can't be bothered to plug in all the gadgets like bracket, and GPS receiver to get it to work, it's easier to just plant my iPhone and it's all working. Of course you don't get the big screen which is a great shame!

If I knew how this worked, I would have gotten an iPad 3 with GPS/4G but without a plan... Oh well.

I didn't realise you could get a GPS add on, I seriously need one. I do all the navigating while hubby drives which is one of the reasons I got an iPad not realising that the wifi only does not have GPS doh!

Guess I will just have to go get a GPS add on now.........

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IOS 6 Update Question About GPS?

I have NOT updated to the new ios6 because I have some concerns. I've got the new iPad 3 4g model but have no 4g plan. I understand that the google maps with my model work as a gps even with no cell service or wifi connection. But, if I do update to ios6, I understand I could use google maps going through Safari but if I did that, wouldn't I need cell service plan or at least constant wifi connection? Is there ever going to be a google map app for ios6 that will work like now without cell or wifi connection?

I'm so confused...

Rustyhelen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all
Has anyone in Australia personal experience with the Dual Electronics unit?
Amazon will not ship it to my Australian address so makes me wonder if it will work in the southern hemisphere. Can buy from eBay but all USA shippers.
Rusty

Mck22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I read these posts and still dont have a full understanding. Here is my set up let me know if you can shead some light for me.

I have a ipad3 wifi only and a iphone4 with a hotspot. I have tried to use my ipad with things like maps, and some other free apps I thougt would work to track and show my location. I have not had any luck. So first question is will it even work like that? Second what app it a good one? Thanks for your help and input.

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does having an iPad with cellular (the GPS chip) still benefit you if you are tethering from an iPhone and only using the iPad's wifi?

For example, I'm in my car with my LTE iPad 3, but I'm tethering off my iPhone. Is the GPS chip still being taken advantage of?

Most reactions

Latest posts