What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Chrome Arrives in the App Store Today for iOS

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

9to5 Mac reports that Google has today announced during day 2 of Google I/O that it will today be releasing the long-awaited Chrome for iOS to the App Store, for devices running iOS 4.3 upwards. The new browser app has many of the key features that users will be so familiar with in the desktop versions of Chrome, such as Chrome sync, incognito mode, and the unique tab UI. Also commenting on the news, John Gruber at Daring Fireball says that Chrome for iOS will not have Chrome rendering or JavaScript engines, because App Store rules don’t allow this. Gruber says that Chrome for iPhone and iPad is the iOS system version of WebKit in Google’s own browser. He goes on to say that the launch of what will surely prove to be a very popular browser on iOS devices will put more pressure on Apple to let users choose their own default browser for their iOS devices. Currently you only have one choice, and that’s Apple’s Safari browser, of course. Chrome has not yet appeared in the App Store today, but expect it to be up soon.

Source: Google announces Chrome for iPhone & iPad, coming to App Store today | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence
Daring Fireball Linked List: Google Announces Chrome for iPhone and iPad, Available Today

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Maura. Been using Chrome on PC since it was released. I need to check this out.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Maura. Been using Chrome on PC since it was released. I need to check this out.
yes i always preferred chrome when i had a windows pc,i will be interested too.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For a moment I thought it was going to be the "big" announcement, including an alternative Chrome rendering engine on IOS for the first time. Unfortunately it's just the google wrapper around the Safari webkit engine. I'm sure it will be cool, but it's really no different to the myriad of other browsers that have been around along time now, including iCab, Atomic, etc. Just the Google Chrome flavour :(

Bet it tastes sweet through ;)

brrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
being in the uk, i still can't download this. as long as it has bookmark sync i'm sold.

Reaction score
f4780y said:
For a moment I thought it was going to be the "big" announcement, including an alternative Chrome rendering engine on IOS for the first time. Unfortunately it's just the google wrapper around the Safari webkit engine. I'm sure it will be cool, but it's really no different to the myriad of other browsers that have been around along time now, including iCab, Atomic, etc. Just the Google Chrome flavour :(

Bet it tastes sweet through ;)

Very true! For me, the cool thing is the ability to now sync with Chrome on all of my PCs.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far I am impressed with it. I think I will find more of a use for it on my iPhone though since it has the ability to view desktop views on all sites.

dahauss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it's actually get basic and missing a lot of things iCab has. ICab is my default browser now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reaction score
f4780y said:
I should be disciplined by my colleagues for taking this thread off topic, but, congratulations on the best user name ever! Much respect :)

Why, thank you. You're the first one who's commented!

brrip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it does!!! :)

thanks for the confirmation! woke up and managed to download it, now waiting for google to fix the "log-in information is out of date" error some of us are having.

because of the scroll lag (ipad 3 here), I can't see this being my main browser but it'll be great for accessing/saving bookmarks on the go.

Most reactions

Latest posts