What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodreader

Miamijim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a WD 3 TB Wi Fi Nas drive and would like to access its information from my iPad via Goodreader.

I am not as well versed in adding what I think would be an FTP client into Goodreader, would someone kindly walk me through the process.

Jim.

OP
M

Miamijim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks but what I really want to do is access my wi fi nas drive from outside of my home network, as I would access dropbox or google docs whilst on the move.

I am just insure as to how to set ths up.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does your WD NAS have a built in FTP? I'm not sure they do but I'm happy to be corrected. I'm not versed in port forwarding, etc, so hopefully someone can point you in the right direction. Maybe check out the Cloud sub forum, as I believe there are ways to turn the newer WD drives into a cloud server to do exactly what you want.

Internally on your home network you can connect to your NAS with Goodreader. You may want to check out FileBrowser as well, I find it better than Goodreader for some types of connections.

BocataDeChoped

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What you have to do is to map an input port of your router's public IP to the local IP and port where your FTP server is running. Usually you will do this on your router's port forwarding/redirecting menu.

Hecto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I looked into this, it was a whole lot of hassle and then the connection was so slow, wasn't worth it.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
that is because the upstream from the broadband provider is slow. I use my NAS via FTP from all different places. and it works great. Slow to pull something from my NAS because the upstream is only 1.5 mbps, but to send something to it, very fast, as the downstream is 30 mbps. Hassel, bah, took 5 minutes. once set up, it works damn near forever without issue. I have been using FTP to transfer to/from my home network for years now.

this is set up via the router. I would also look into getting a dyndns address set up. dyndns.org for that.

Most reactions

Latest posts