What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you own an iPad & an Android device? Help required for connection test please.

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a short step away from joining the iPad community as an owner. Only one thing remains for me to overcome, prior to making the purchase & I need someone/s help here, with a little experiment please. :)

I would like to be able to transfer files via wifi between my Android 4.0.3 powered Asus tf101 and my future iPad2 or new iPad via FTP when both devices are connected to my home router.

PLEASE would a kind person or persons who owns both an Android device and an iPad do a little experiment for me & post the results? This involves you using both your devices. No-one else is involved & you are only connecting both of your devices to each other. There is nothing nefarious about it & I am not involved in any way. (Stating the obvious, I know)

Android device
Here is the Play Store URL for the free highly respected File Expert Android app... https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xcxin.filexpert&hl=en
This app allows for the simple sharing of files via many methods, including FTP wifi transfer.
Simply run the app, tap Share my Contents, Start Share via FTP. This will provide you with the local IP address of your android device & a standard username & password to enter into the FTP client on the ipad.

iPad
Many of you use Goodreader, I know. Could you try to connect to the Android device using that app, please?
goodiware.com :: products :: GoodReader :: Manual :: WiFi

Alternatively, you may use App Store - FTP Client Pro
The developer of that app thinks it should work.

I appreciate this may be a slightly unusual request, but I would greatly appreciate the help from anyone who does own both types of device.
To understand a little of the background as to "why", here is another thread...
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...-please-pre-purchase-research.html#post585447

D

dvdcatalyst

It works, but I used different apps.

I couldn't get the android ftp server to work on my gNex (running JB41). Even connecting from my PC didn't work, so I installed this one instead:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=lutey.FTPServer&hl=en

gnex.jpg

On the iPad I used this one:

App Store - FTP 2 Go Lite

One thing I ran into with the connection was that the iPad automatically capitalizes the username. On my gNex, I used "mitch" as the username, and on the iPad, after a few tries, it kept making the username "Mitch". After I changed it on the gNex, it worked fine.

ipad1 copy.jpg

ipad2 copy.jpg

The ftp-server I used is verbose, so it shows what happens, which is nice.

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I decided to give this a try using my Sony Ericsson Xperia. Successfully downloaded File Expert and entered the URL and password etc.

The question is, now what LOL

I haven't a clue what to do next, I have a text document on my iPad in Goodreader that gives a list of apps etc that are on my android but what if I want to send a photo from android to iPad? How do you actually use this file sharing.

I am no software dummy but for the life of me I cannot work out the point of File Expert!

OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mitch - thanks very, very, very much indeed :)

You sir are a star :) If I had a PC I'd buy DVD Catalyst yesterday :)

One question... did the iPad app make you do an in app spend of 69c as some of the reviews say? If it did & we ever meet I owe you 2 drinks, not just the one, my friend :)

Last edited:
OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I decided to give this a try using my Sony Ericsson Xperia. Successfully downloaded File Expert and entered the URL and password etc.

The question is, now what LOL

I haven't a clue what to do next, I have a text document on my iPad in Goodreader that gives a list of apps etc that are on my android but what if I want to send a photo from android to iPad? How do you actually use this file sharing.

I am no software dummy but for the life of me I cannot work out the point of File Expert!

First of all thank you very much for trying. :)

Once File Expert is running, Tap Share my Contents, Start Share via FTP.
This will provide you with the local IP address of your android device & a standard username & password to enter into the FTP client on the ipad.

Then use a FTP client app on the ipad to use the "fe" (username) & "filexpert" (password) & your local IP address. The client app on the ipad does the work, ie uploading or downloading from your android device.

If Goodreader doesn't work, what does it say or do?

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think I may be being a bit of an idiot here, my problem is not the setting up, that all worked fine.

My problem is more how to use it, I have tried following the instructions in Good Reader but I cannot get any files to transfer.

I will do some more study and see if I can work out how to get Good Reader to share.

Darkangelwitch (Surrey) I luv my iPad

D

dvdcatalyst

Mitch - thanks very, very, very much indeed :)

You sir are a star :) If I had a PC I'd buy DVD Catalyst yesterday :)

One question... did the iPad app make you do an in app spend of 69c as some of the reviews say? If it did & we ever meet I owe you 2 drinks, not just the one, my friend :)

You are welcome,

I did get a $0.99 in-app purchase request when I downloaded a picture. I am sorry to say that I stopped there.

I am confident that the ftp server I used is one of the better ones out there (I recall having used some of the dev's other apps before) but I'm not too sure about the ftp client. There are likely better/easier ones out there.

I don't use my iPad enough in regards of apps (every time I turn it on, the cat starts looking for the mouse of one of the cat-games I have on it), but I would think that there would be something like Astro for the iPad that would enable you to do a bit more.

I'll do some digging for you and see if I can find something better.

D

dvdcatalyst

From what it looks like, you will keep running into the "sandbox" security on the iPad.

For each type of file you will need to use an app that supports that filetype.

Goodreader will do PDF's, but to transfer over some songs or videos, you will need to use a different app.
Many apps these days have dropbox integration, however, that requires you to use an inbetween cloud-storage. Upload from Android to db, then pull from db on your iPad.

Its not like on Android that you just put files on the file-system, and then by tapping on it in either the ftp client app or file-manager app that the app associated with that filetype will fire it up.

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dvdcatalyst said:
From what it looks like, you will keep running into the "sandbox" security on the iPad.

For each type of file you will need to use an app that supports that filetype.

Goodreader will do PDF's, but to transfer over some songs or videos, you will need to use a different app.
Many apps these days have dropbox integration, however, that requires you to use an inbetween cloud-storage. Upload from Android to db, then pull from db on your iPad.

Its not like on Android that you just put files on the file-system, and then by tapping on it in either the ftp client app or file-manager app that the app associated with that filetype will fire it up.

All sounds a bit too technical LOL. I think I will just go back to using my PC and iTunes :)

D

dvdcatalyst

All sounds a bit too technical LOL. I think I will just go back to using my PC and iTunes :)

:)

In English, it basically means that while you can copy files over to your iPad, only the app you used is able to access them.
If you would copy an mp3 over with ftp, it will be on your iPad, but it will not play in other music players you installed on your iPad.

OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Mitch :)

The sandboxing is a double edged sword. Understandable, but also problematical, sometimes. :)

Anyone else feel free to offer an opinion or ways forward :)

Thanks all.

Most reactions

Latest posts