What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodreader vs Readdledocs

Dentifrice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for one of these apps. I want to read all kinds of files (pdf, word, excel, etc...), annotate PDF, download and upload to webdav and dropbox.

Both of them seems to do all I want. Goodreader has kind of a "cult" around it and a lot of people who tried Readdledocs seems to never go back.

Anyone here has tried both ? Which one do you prefer ?

The only thing I cannot find info about is whether or not I can do handwritten annotations on pdf in Readdledocs...

thanks

Politenessman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.retro-tactical.com
I recently switched from Goodreader to Readdledocs for two reasons:
1. Readdledocs has a 2 way sync with Dropbox, where Goodreader doesn't.
2 Readdledocs handles network drives easily, where good reader can only handle WebDAV drives.

OP
D

Dentifrice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently switched from Goodreader to Readdledocs for two reasons:
1. Readdledocs has a 2 way sync with Dropbox, where Goodreader doesn't.
2 Readdledocs handles network drives easily, where good reader can only handle WebDAV drives.

When you talk about network drive, are you talking about windows share aka SMB ?

SallySparrow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using readdledocs since I brought home my iPad for all the reasons mentioned above, but I just started using goodreader today. The major selling point for me was the brightness management for reading in the dark.
I'm still using readdledocs to manage my documents.

stavrogin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using both at the moment. Goodreader is constantly doing updates. I do not know which one will become default.

One thing I don't like about Readdle is that when you are downloading or uploading a file, you get the progress bar across your screen and you have to wait for it to finish to do any work.

On the other hand I am not a big fan of the GoodReader layout. It is nice though that it does all of the downloading and uploading in the background while you get your work done.

I want to like Readdledocs more, but.......

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Readdledocs has a 2 way sync with Dropbox, where Goodreader doesn't.
I believe GoodReader can now sync with DropBox since the last update a few days ago.

It also now lists files by date and size as well as alphabetically. Huzzah!

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also have both and I find that GoodReader is my default go-to app.

I like that GoodReader has constant updates. Yeah, the brand new cloud update feature is a win!

richimages

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does iFiles compare to both these ... anyone here use iFiles? I think iFiles has a much better UI, ... much easier to use than GoodReader's confusing UI.

iFiles also seems to be doing much of what GoodReader does ... but not sure how it compares to ReaddleDocs ...

stavrogin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to know too

I use Readdle and GR. I have always seen iFiles and wondered what it was like.

What is it that you think makes it simpler? I would love to have a good reason to spend more money. At this point I think that Readdle and GR are about the same. It comes down to UI

richimages

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Readdle and GR. I have always seen iFiles and wondered what it was like.

What is it that you think makes it simpler? I would love to have a good reason to spend more money. At this point I think that Readdle and GR are about the same. It comes down to UI

Not sure about Readdle ... but I've used GR ... GR's UI is terrible ... If I want to download something from my ftp site, I have to go to the right pannel and open the appropriate section ...(btw ... the order of the "sections" on the right side is random to me ) Once there ... I select the ftp ... theres a Pop Up window that covers up 1/2 the screen ... this is just not well laid out ...

In iFiles, on the left, I select the directory stucture source from a button at the top, (whether it's DropBox, local iPad, ftp site, etc ) ... the directory structure does not pop up a window ... it simply populates on the right. press and hold on a file or folder on the right, and you have all your options.

Take a look at the layout here.

Looking at the image from the link above, if I select a different source from the Dashboard on the left, it's directory structure will populate on the right. Press and hold on a folder or file will pull up these quick menus. ( There are some additional options if the files are on the iPad, you may also Share with wi-Fi or BlueTooth, or zip the file ).

Also, an extra nice thing is that you can color code a file, thus you can organize with ... and images have thumnails, and file types have appropriate icons (music note icon for music file, doc icon for Word file, etc ).

It does a good job with basic opening / viewing of file types as well.

How does ReaddleDocs compare with such an organized GUI layout?

thanks for sharing,

Last edited:

stavrogin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Readdle UI

Readdle looks about the same as the iFiles UI. THe only difference is that there are no choices at the bottom, for example the wi-fi drive and support buttons are in the settings section, not at the bottom of the screen.

I also like that Readdle can sync and you get a 512mb readdledrive space for free with a purchase.

I use both GR and Readdle. The one thing I have no been liking about GR recently is the PDF viewer. It is all over the place and not always an easy page turn. I am a teacher and I put all my SAT handouts in GR and Readdledocs and use them when teaching my 1:1s and I find I have to swipe a few times at times to do page swipe with GR. A small irritation, but if it happens enough it becomes annoying.

Also with the Readdle iPhone app I really don't like the UI. It has very ugly icons and looks like a windows type experience. Not that I am anti-windows, but it is a 98/XP like look.

stavrogin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought iFiles today

I bought iFiles today. I hope it is as good as everyone says it is.

My biggest problem is I live in Beijing where Dropbox is blocked. I think being outside of Europe or North America makes cloud computing a bit more awkward. I use iDisk, but it is slow and clunky at times.

I was thinking about moving to S3, any thoughts about using it like I would Dropbox for document and file retrieval?

BTW it is possible to use DropDav if you are in China ad having problems. Problem is the service is even more clunky than iDisk in China.

Most reactions

Latest posts