What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodreader Question?

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would like to be able to use my iPad at work on construction projects. So let me tell you guys what I'm doing and maybe you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I have a construction drawing in Goodreader in pdf form. I enlage the drawing and crop a small area. As soon as I start making notation's or highlights Goodreader makes an annotated file of the changes. At this point everything looks good. My cropped area is full screen on the iPad and I have made my changes. This is where my problem is, when I email the annotated drawing it emails the complete drawing. Not just the cropped area. I need to just be able to email the cropped area.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried saving it as a screen shot?
Hold top and bottom buttons at the same time.
The image will be in your Photo album from whence it can be dispatched with prejudice via email.

OP
B

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I didn't think about doing it that way. Is there no way of saving it in Goodreader?

variador

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty is correct. To answer your next question we will assume you mean save it as a PDF that is only of what is on the screen at that moment. The only way to get the screen the way you are looking at it is to take screen shot. You can open that screen shot in GoodReader. You can't save it as a PDF from GoodReader but you wouldn't have to leave GoodReader to send it. there is a camera icon at the bottom of the file management screen that will let you open pictures in your photo library which is where the screen shot gets saved to.

Hope that helps
For grins lookup the how many STEPS it takes to save a screen shot in Android

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds like you need something more powerful then PDF annotation. There are a number of CAD and vector drawing programs for the iPad. TouchDraw and iDesign come to mind, as does AutoCAD WS if you already use AutoCAD for orginal blueprints. I haven't used any of these myself at this point.

OP
B

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't want to make CAD type changes. I want to be able to walk a construction project and when I see something that doesn't work I want to be able to pull up that area on the blueprint and maybe circle it and write a note and email to the correct party. I have tried the screenshot and that works, so that is a good option and I was able to email from Goodreader so I guess that's the best option. If there's a better pdf app I would give it a try but I don't want to buy a bunch of apps just to try them out. Thanks for the help.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You might try Notetaker HD. It has a bit of a learning curve but has a lot of support with videos, full online help. I just tried something similar to what I think you want. You choose "open in" in Goodreader and choose Notetaker. There you an choose to havr its output as pdf, choose the pen line width and color. You an open the pdf, make notes on various pages, output the individual pages with the notes as email. Then you can go back and erase the notes to use the page(s) again. He keeps making really useful improvements and it does so much now. A little bit more complicated than emailing directly from Goodreader but more options.

OP
B

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Diane, I will give it a look. The screenshot is working OK, I'm trying to integrate the ipad to construction management. In fact I bought a stylus today to help write on the screen.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Goodreader has been crashing a couple times lately - anyone else experience this?

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would have also suggested Note Taker HD, however it does export sub-selection areas of a work file. Other then that it's a very hand note taker. I'm considering it for use as a student work app. So they can "write" on digitally provided worksheets.

No issues with good reader. What did you feed it? Even with 512 ram in the iPad 2 it GoodReader does have it's limits. If it keeps crashing go to the iPads Setttings and find GoodReader, click the toggle to force it to start clean. Then double check the file you think is giving you trouble.

It could also be that your iPad needs a short rest, full shut down and boot up. Used to have to do that on my iPod.

Most reactions