What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good weather app

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have not been able to find an acceptable replacement for the late, lamented Intellicast weather app, which was not updated to run under recent iOS versions. It was "replaced" by Storm, an OK app with fewer useful features, which was in turn "upgraded" to Storm Radar, a total piece of junk. Why can't they just leave well enough alone?

I don't want movies, pretty pictures, or cute animals, I just want daily and hourly forecasts plus a radar map with fronts, preferably all on the opening screen without playing hide-and-seek. Other requirements: multiple saved locations, lightning, wind, and radar animation that doesn't play automatically. Free is better, because if I paid for an app that turned into a pumpkin as quickly as the other weather apps I've tried, I would have to hunt down and murder the author.

Suggestions, please?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with the Intellicast weather app is that the developer has basically abandoned it and chose not to update it to 64 bit capability. I'd wonder how long it will be before the server is shut down and even those still on iOS 10 and earlier won't be able to use it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’m not one to ask for a (one) weather app. Besides Apple’s app, I have four apps that I use for different reasons, and or when I’m in different moods.

RainAware is good at predicting short term rain probabilites. Not perfect, but better than any of the other apps. I use it mostly to decide when to give the dog a walk, or if I want to drive or walk to the grocery store. Unfortunately it does not have notifications.

DarkSky is my quick glance at the day app. The main page is a quick 24hr every two hour prediction that can be quickly switched between precip, temp, wind, humidity, and UV index. A quick swipe left gets you the week predictions, swiping right gets a world radar map (that I don’t care much for). Offers precipitation notifications, but is usually a few minites late, letting you know you are already wet.

Carrot Weather packs a fair amount of weather on the main screen. A few taps and swipes will expand the details. The snarky comments when you open the app can be disables if you don’t like them. Well the voice can. The text is still there. The radar view is a tap away at the top of the screen. Participation notifications are similar to DarkSky for accuracy.

Wunderground is an all you can eat source of weather info, including web cams. Most of the imediate info is densly packet at the top of the screen; so much so that you may need a little time to figure some of it out at first use. Scrolling down offeres a lot of other info and options.

All of this is about the iPhone apps. I have most of the same apps on the iPad. The only difference is that the information isn’t as cramped. I rarly use the iPad versions. Weather is more of a phone thing for me.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Update on CARROT Weather.

CARROT Weather just got an update that gives it 12 weather maps, some of which can be layered. Looks like about half of them are behind a subscription. The most common ones are free.

CARROT can be set to use Wunderground or DarkSky data.

Something else I didn’t notice before going through the settings. CARROT’s personality has quite a few settings/adjustments. Personality varies from friendly to profane, and politics has five settings, including No-Politics. I’ve chaned its voice to Jeeves. I’ve always felt a British accent is well matched to sarcasm. Must be all those Monty Python movies.

OP
LannyC

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm trying Wunderground, and annoyed that Weblock doesn't block its ads. ;) Seriously, the ads aren't too obnoxious, so far.

It's no Intellicast, or even Storm, but it offers most of what I want. Thanks for the suggestion.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use WeatherNow. I’ve got the premium paid version which I got for free with a promo code from the developer when it first came out.

Most reactions

Latest posts