What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good case for use while walking around?

HilltopMichael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had my iPad for a little over a month now and it works beautifully for what I was expecting to use it for - replacing a binder's worth of documents that I would prepare daily and use while walking around dealing with clients and looking at properties.

However, I have yet to find a suitable case for my iPad. At a minimum I need a way to attach a lanyard or wrist strap - my biggest fear is dropping the iPad. Plenty of bags, slips, backpacks etc that will securely hold the iPad, but you need to take them out to use. Any number of covers that offer some protection should you drop the iPad, but I want something where it wouldn't fall in the first place (or at least not hit the floor if I let go of it.) Just one ring in the corner of the case would probably work, but I have found very few cases that have a way of attaching a strap.

I think the ideal case would be a leather, folio styled case with a shoulder strap. The iPad should be useable handheld in landscape or portrait mode. Even a protective case without a screen cover could work, as long as the iPad was securely attached in the case and there was a way of attaching a strap. I could always slide that into another protective case when I wasn't using it.

Any suggestions? If not, are there any good leather folios that securely hold the iPad (probably not just at the corners) that I could modify by sewing some rings onto? Any other cases where I could somehow securely attach a ring?

nancye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Marware Ecoview is a nice, sturdy leather case which has an interesting hand flap for holding the iPad one handed.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at the WaterField designs offerings especially this one. I have it and it is great. It is considered a sleeve and has an option shoulder strap. They also make a different sleeve with a wrist strap option.

It is a very high quality product.

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at the WaterField designs offerings especially this one. I have it and it is great. It is considered a sleeve and has an option shoulder strap. They also make a different sleeve with a wrist strap option.

It is a very high quality product.

This looks like a great case...but....even tho I am not the original poster, I'd like to see a case that is also a portfolio, but has a shoulder strap. If you are working in the field without the benefit of a table, it would be nice to use the ipad and then let it hang off your shoulder as you move around.

Something like the Apple portfolio, but a bit more rugged and with a shoulder strap. I too, live in fear of dropping it.

CM

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at the WaterField designs offerings especially this one.
Thank you so much for that link! I bought the OEM sleeve when I bought my iPad because I knew I needed something while I looked for something a little more "stylish" and it looks like I have found it. (It actually looks like something Sonny would carry! LOL)

OP
H

HilltopMichael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those WaterField sleeves certainly look very nice, but unfortunately they're not what I'm looking for. I need something that allows me to use the iPad while it's attached to my wrist or hung around my neck. I spend a few hours a day walking around using the iPad and my biggest concern is dropping it...

Any other suggestions?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Waterfield does offer a strap for their cases. I honestly can't imagine using any sort of wrist strap for the iPad due to its weight. At least with a shoulder strap, this would leave both hands free, but with a wrist strap, one hand would always be holding onto your iPad. Eventually, your hand is going to get tired (I would imagine) if you are carrying your iPad around with you all day every day. Its not as light as you think!

OP
H

HilltopMichael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Waterfield does offer a strap for their cases. I honestly can't imagine using any sort of wrist strap for the iPad due to its weight. At least with a shoulder strap, this would leave both hands free, but with a wrist strap, one hand would always be holding onto your iPad. Eventually, your hand is going to get tired (I would imagine) if you are carrying your iPad around with you all day every day. Its not as light as you think!
I have been carrying around my iPad most every day for the last month. The weight isn't a problem - it's certainly much lighter than the binder I used to hold and the case I used to carry over my shoulder to hold what didn't fit in the binder.

Even a wrist strap would be fine - it's just something to keep the iPad from hitting the ground should it slip from my hands....

Guess I'm just going to have to make something...

mcginwe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sherpa Carry

It sounds like you're looking for a Sherpa Carry. Stylish, functional iPad case with shoulder strap. sherpacarry.com

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One good case might be the one from ModulR. I have the case and I like it.

Note that while I have the ModulR, I don't have the carrying strap, but it seems as if it'll do what you want - carry the iPad on a strap over your shoulder, use it, and then let it go back down to being carried.

Just a thought

dynax

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just get a Toblino 2, bond (with a rivet also) 2 leather tabs (with plastic D rings) onto the back and put the strap on it (camera shoulder strap). That way you only need to flip the cover and use it right away.

xStatiCa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assero Defender (asseroindustries)

Might look a bit geekier though walking around playing games... i mean working :).

www asseroindustries com/defender
www geekwithlaptop com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/assero-defender-300x195.jpg

(replace the two space with dots... I cant post links or images yet)

Attachments

• assero-defender-300x195.jpg
    assero-defender-300x195.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 364

rgsparber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I looked for a long time for a simple case to use for my iPad 2. In the end I made my own:

Rick.sparber.org/electronics/ic.pdf

Rick

Padeasel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are using a case/sleeve while walking arround, consider the Bweasel iPad stand as a good companion. A recent survey found that most people use their iPad in bed an while watching TV. The Bweasel stand keeps your iPad conveniently ready to use at these locations and, attached to your iPad, they will stow in your shoulder bag or sleeve.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts