What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to England...what GPS app to buy?

Al Rogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 64GB 3G ATT version. I plan to get the international data plan for our vacation.

I am hoping the iPad will be adequate for guiding us through England as we plan to drive from London to Bristol and all the sites in between.

Can anyone recommend the GPS app that will hands down give us what we need?

Thanks!

I have driven that route many times,you should not have any problems,just stay on the M-4 and it takes you to Bristol, If you are landing at Gatwick take the 25 to M-4. Having a GPS for Bristol would be nice to have, maybe our Brit members can help out.

Al

J A Macp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
new australian user!

I am still awaiting delivery of the iPad 2 [3G 64] and will have 2 days to
learn how to send e-mails and use internet before travelling to Europe for 10 weeks. I was also wondering how to get ONE sim card for use but seems that Vodafone has the cheapest [or less expensive!] option - my first
country of arrival is Germany and the Vodafone website for that is not
translatable to English and my limited German means I can't figure out if
the iPad plan on offer is reasonable! I think the individual telephone carriers are worried about iPad taking over from mobile [cellular] phones with the
VoP capacity of Facetime, Skype etc and that is why the charges are
so high. Any comment from you iPadForumteers??

J A Macp South Gippsland, Australia.

how to get ONE sim card for Europe [

TonyR

iPF Noob
Reaction score
CoPilot HD is a good nav package for iPad. But download it before you go as it's a big file. It has all the maps on board so no need to use up bandwidth downloading them on the move.

Avionyx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a truck driver I spend most my life using SatNav's on UK and European Roads.

I would highly recommend the NavFree one, its just as good as anything else out there and its free. It will always get you to where you want to go, and thats about all you can ask. I also prefer its routing and speed to the TomTom apps. I used it exclusively on my iPhone for well over a year and it just works.

If you want to pay for a solution, then I'd say Copilot are the best, very very fast fixes, fast app time, great routes and nice clear display and information, as well. BUT.....

Go for the Renault TruckNav one instead, its subsidised by Renault to get their logo all over it, but is actually a 2011 updated CoPilot app, with far more features as its designed for professional drivers, and its 2/3rds of the price - result! You also get free Weather, updated POI's, speed cameras and traffic info for life. Which with TomTom etc I think you have to pay for?

It'd also be useful if you want to hire a Motorhome/RV thing, and it creates the routes based on vehicle type, as well as having a "walking mode" to get you to nearby ATM's, public toilets, shops etc.

Hope thats helpful to someone.

Alex

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jakerich said:
NDrive

Google is your friend.

I was wondering why it was so difficult to find. Apple have killed it off.

This software was killed by Apple however it reappeared under the 'NavMii' moniker - same software, just a different title. It does work well but I think NavFree is as good an option - I keep them both on my iPhone and NavFree is universal so will work full screen on the iPad too.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
donka said:
This software was killed by Apple however it reappeared under the 'NavMii' moniker - same software, just a different title. It does work well but I think NavFree is as good an option - I keep them both on my iPhone and NavFree is universal so will work full screen on the iPad too.

Thanks for that. At £3.99 I will stick with NavFree UK. Who would believe there are so many iPad satnav systems out there. If only google maps provided all this it would be great.

daveadder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get Navfree it is perfectly Ok

This app is good and will cost you nothing. Just this one app will do just fine.

Most reactions

Latest posts