What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going Paperless (Magazines, Newspapers, Docs)

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Come on, you guys have to have seen one before - they were a staple of most schools. We still have a couple at the office. Most people just call them paper cutters, though guillotine is also used. It's a wooden block with a grid carved into it for aligning the paper, and then a large, sharp blade that can be lowered to cut the pages. If you load too many sheets, you get really jagged edges.

Ol!ver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PressReader might actually be the app I've been waiting for, and I'm very surprised more people aren't shouting about it.

Do they do any kind of international pricing?

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
Come on, you guys have to have seen one before - they were a staple of most schools. We still have a couple at the office. Most people just call them paper cutters, though guillotine is also used. It's a wooden block with a grid carved into it for aligning the paper, and then a large, sharp blade that can be lowered to cut the pages. If you load too many sheets, you get really jagged edges.
Hence my question. Yeah, there are paper cutters that can cut several, maybe even a dozen or so sheets, but a magazine? The binding off a book?

tail24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just love the fact that I can have magazines be paperless. AND CHEAP! Zinio does like sales/price breaks all the time. I just got 5 yearly subscriptions for $5 each. Those subscriptions of paper form are all over $25 each for the year and all over 65$ if you were to buy each issue off the rack. I check every couple days to see if any deals are going on. My fiancee works in Jewelry design and often has her pieces as accessories on models in the womens magazines such as Elle, Cosmo, ect. Now she just picks up the ipad and scrolls through looking for her stuff and we take a screen shot of it then print it rather then going to store paging through and then buying the issue just to rip the page out for her portfolio. Makes my life easier cheaper and really I may end up breaking even on buying an ipad buy the time she is done with it. lol

As for ebook readers I am hoping that Stanza for iphone comes out with an ipad version. I like that I can upload ebooks from my computer kind of like what you can do in goodreader. I have lots of ebooks on my comp and would be nice to move them to stanza on my ipad like i do on my iphone. I found it easier to use and has more features then kindle app.

Last edited:

tail24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
… Zinio does like sales/price breaks all the time. I just got 5 yearly subscriptions for $5 each.…
How specifically did you get those discounts? Did you call or just wait for a sale or contact them somehow?

I just check their website every couple days. See whats new hoping they have added a new magazine or have lowered the price on a present one. For 3 I just noticed they were onsale one day. 2 others I got an email about saying there was a 2 day sale on certain subscriptions, I picked up Maxim and Car and Driver that way even though I probably wouldnt have otherwise. But hey 5 dollars for 12 issues and hot girls and cars I am not gonna turn that down.

tail24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also got Elle and MarieClaire for the Fiancee for cheap either 5 or 8 for a year. Each issue costs 5 in stores. Thats a deal and a half!

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
I just check their website every couple days.…
It looks like turning on some notifications in the Account Settings might help alert you to upcoming sales:

• Send me email updates about features, new products, and special offers from Zinio .
  • Daily Spotlight : Sign me up for featured magazine content from Zinio's Daily Spotlight email

crashmeister

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded this (PressReader) to take a look. I tried looking at a paper and it downloaded it without any warning about me being charged for it. The only way they do that is to charge me through the app store.

I find it odd that they can do this without stating that you are being charged.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
I downloaded this (PressReader) to take a look. I tried looking at a paper and it downloaded it without any warning about me being charged for it. The only way they do that is to charge me through the app store.

Are you sure you got charged? 'Cause if you did, that's whacked.

SWdp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt an app charged your iTunes account automatically.

Appleslappy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I had the same experience...I am curious to see if I got charged.

tail24

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Same here but I think they give you like a sample issue to try out. Itunes did not bill me so far and I put no CC info in.

Most reactions

Latest posts