What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going back to basics

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try my advice on your iPad (deleting emails), maybe it's also possible with your iOS version.

If you have to update, make sure iTunes on your computer is up to date.

Dave's screenshot was not taken on the iPad, it's from a computer. As soon as iTunes (computer) is updated, connect your iPad to the PC via USB cable. iTunes should open by itself. If it doesn't, open it and wait for your iPad to appear in iTunes. It's possible that you get a popup, asking whether or not you trust this computer - on your iPad. If so, select "Trust".
Then it will be possible to backup the iPad in iTunes on your PC, so you don't lose data on your iPad when you update it.
After backing up, update your iPad, also using iTunes on your PC.

Hope that helps.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try my advice on your iPad (deleting emails), maybe it's also possible with your iOS version.[/quotes] I dont have any trouble deleting emails on iPad (unconnected from desktop)

What hapened next, is Dave suggested I upgrade
In your case w/ the device owned, I would recommend the upgrade - my main comment if you do want to go this route, is to make sure you have a backup (and two options were offered). Dave :)
I then did a very long backup on iPad through iCloud.

This is where I've run into trouble
If you can backup to iTunes on your computer, then recommended as a second assurance - if then, you want to upgrade your iOS, your choices are via iTunes or iCloud (may have already given you a link?) - if not and still unsure, ask more questions. Dave :)

Next
Finally, if you have plugged in your iPad to a USB port on your computer and opened iTunes, then selected the iPad device icon (upper left corner), the image below should appear (my screen capture on a MBPro running El Capitan) - see the arrows - I just did a backup to my laptop - simply a click of the icon - let me stop there for you to respond. Dave :)
I cannot get the same screen up on iPad, let alone on desktop with iPad attached. I can't send a pic of what I DO get up - that's where I am at the moment.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did the backup complete? In that case, you won't have to backup in iTunes.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dave's screenshot was not made on his iPad. He posted a picture of iTunes on his computer.

If you don't know whether or not iTunes (computer) is up to date, open it on your PC. Don't connect your iPad. If you see the Menu bar, click Help - Check for Updates. If you can't see it, hold Control and B keys to show the Menu bar, then go to Help...
If there's an update for iTunes (PC), install it, before connecting your iPad again.

This won't update your iPad, just iTunes (PC). It's always recommended to use the latest iTunes version, if you have to backup or update your iPad via iTunes.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
David the attachment you showed on Msg 24 or was it 25, I cannot get up on y iPad. I would take a snapshot of what I CANget up if I knew how (on the iPad). Even tho I have connected iPad to desktop WIn 7, I can only get DCIM (photos) up.
I'm really sorry to take up your time. I am completely dumb with iPad, yet Windows doesn't trouble me one bit.
You said it was a good idea to upgrade to the new version, but despite everyone's help, I am not getting anywhere :(

Hello again Judy - Johanna has returned w/ further advice to help clarify your situation - although repeated multiple times, you keep trying to find the pic I posted in #24 on your iPad - to reiterate, that is not where to look - the image (which is repeated below w/ some added 'red' arrows & a circle) is on my MBPro laptop w/ iTunes opened - you should first open iTunes ON your Windows computer, then go to the top left menu under the iTunes selection to see if you have the newest Windows version; if not then you need to upgrade.

THEN, plug in your iPad w/ a cable to a USB port on your computer - the iPad icon should show up in iTunes (see red arrow top left) - click and the screen below should open - you can check to see what version of iOS is present on your iPad (added top right arrow); and also see if you have backups to the cloud and to your computer (added red circle) - hope this helps. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-05-13 at 1.32.03 AM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have iTunes installed on your Windows computer? With the latest version of iTunes installed, it should automatically recognize the iPad when you connect it to your computer with the charging cable. Here's where to go to get iTunes for your Windows computer. Download iTunes 12.1.3 for Windows (64-bit)

BTW, you have to access this link from your computer, not your iPad.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seems I didnt have iTunes on windows 7 desktop - this has been done now.
I'd have thought if I connected iPad to main desktop that it would show under computer i.e Local Disc C, DVD RW drive (d) - but nothing there. If I click on the desktops iTunes I get all my songs. So how do I make the iPad show up on my desktop. I have to go into settings - general and get iTunes App Stores, I am sure thats not the right one.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ive made a bit of progress it seems. Now on my desktop it is asking me that I have purchased items on the ipad that have not been trasferredto your iTunes libary. You should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating the iPad. Do you want to continue......

Well yes, I do but how do I find what I've purchased and not transferred?

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok I progressed a little further. Now I have itunes open on desktop and it says downloading 1 item, but nothing is happening. iPad is open at settings

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not quite sure what happened, things started moving when I wasnt here. I now have two-factor authenication. I can apparently acces icloud library now.. Am I done? What do I click on in desktop to be able to see whats on iPad?

Last edited:
OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If Dashlane is free to download on desktop - why do I have to pay on iPad? (It is a password manager)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If Dashlane is free to download on desktop - why do I have to pay on iPad? (It is a password manager)

That would be up to the app developer. It's fairly common for app developers to have a paid for app on one platform and a free app on a second. Especially if the app becomes much more useful when on more than one device.

In the case of Dashlane it appears that it is free for single device use, but if you want to use (and keep it synced) with multiple devices you have to pay for the subscription. From their point of view it is a good way to get you try the app. Once you decide you like it you're very likely to pay for the conviniece of accessing your passwords everywhere.

From what I can see Dashlane is free to download on the iPad but requires a in-app-purchase/subscription before it will sync with other devices. The subscription isn't cheap, but probably keeps all your devices and computers synced; up to some reasonable number anyway.

I prefer 1Password. Then again, I've used 1Password for a long time, so there's a certain amount of lock-in involved. I'd hate to have to migrate all my passwords. :)

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I progressed a little further. Now I have itunes open on desktop and it says downloading 1 item, but nothing is happening. iPad is open at settings
How long has it been downloading the item?

Not quite sure what happened, things started moving when I wasnt here. I now have two-factor authenication. I can apparently acces icloud library now.. Am I done? What do I click on in desktop to be able to see whats on iPad?
Here's how to sync with iTunes. Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes using USB - Apple Support

Last edited:

Most reactions