What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gMail via Mail app: What is blue arrow next to mail entry?

larrymcg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this, so here it is.

When accessing gMail via the standard Mail app, some mail header entries have a small blue arrow in the far left.

Anyone know what the blue arrow means?

--Larry

PS: By the "mail header entries", I mean the entries in the left hand column that you click to view a specific email. The little blue arrow is in the far left of an entry in that column.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just had a look at my gmail account on my iPad, and don't see anything like that. I have a blue circle for unread, a star for VIP and nothing for read. This is a new one on me.

An arrow on an email often means "forwarded" or "replied", so that might be it.

OP
larrymcg

larrymcg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, the little blue arrow means the email was forwarded. I can't believe that I couldn't figure that out.

Thanks for reply.

--Larry

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. That explains why I've never seen it. I never forward anything. Now if you'd asked my mother-in-law... (The Spam Queen)

donna talipsky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have this problem too and wanted to upload a photo, but I was told it did not have a permitted extension. A TIFF? Really?
On the left column of emails, there is a blue arrow - triangular. It is one of many that shows as an unread email even though it has been read and when I click on it to say mark as read, I cannot mark it because it shows as having been read.
Apple is driving us nuts with all that it is doing to our email lately. I am ready to use Outlook.

dickens090

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also confused about that. I am so happy to find the answer here.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have this problem too and wanted to upload a photo, but I was told it did not have a permitted extension. A TIFF? Really?
On the left column of emails, there is a blue arrow - triangular. It is one of many that shows as an unread email even though it has been read and when I click on it to say mark as read, I cannot mark it because it shows as having been read.
Apple is driving us nuts with all that it is doing to our email lately. I am ready to use Outlook.

Do you mean the double chevron mark to the right of the email's date? That shows that the email is part of a thread. Tapping on the double chevron opens the thread. As long as there are any unread emails in the thread, the collapsed thread will show a blue unread dot to it's left.

If you don't like threading the feature can be turned off in the Mail settings.

As far as I know this is the only triangle-like symbol that will show up in Mail's left column. Unread is a blue dot. Flags are either organge dots or flags; depending on your settings.

I'm not sure what is happening with your TIFF image. Photos will store .TIF files just fine, and they should upload to most sites just fine. However, Safari does have trouble with some older sites. Also, sites that require you to give a file name can get picky about having the proper extention as part of that name. This can be difficult to do in iOS, which tends to hide extentions.

E00C603E-E321-45B3-8E59-44FBDDDCD378.jpeg

10C07492-E7B7-4964-B954-C5FA1D952EED.jpeg

Most reactions