What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting My Ebook Library Ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilShapiro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.joyofipad.com
Just wanted to ask how everyone who has ebooks is getting ready to transfer them. I bought about seventy of so from Amazon for my Kindle 2 and another 200 or more downloaded from DRMless sites like Gutenberg and mobileread. Thanks to various Python scripts I was able to remove the DRM infection from those that carried that dirty disease but even if I had not been able to I would still want to move the others to the new platform. Unfortunately there seems to be little info out there as to how to put ebooks on the iPad.

I have heard that they will be ePub format. Now, if it is like the iPhone then you cannot, as on the Kindle, just usb cable to the Kindle and open it as a disk drive and drag the ebooks over. But With Stanza you can open a book in any of the formats that Stanza supports on your Mac and transfer it to the Stanza on your iPhone. Likewise, if you have a pdf file, you can use the iPhone app PDF Reader to transfer pdf ebooks back and forth between the iPhone and your Mac using any browser.

I am hoping Stanza and PDF Reader will come out with iPad-native apps. I fear if they run in iPhone-emulation mode on the iPad that doubling the resolution will result in very aliased-looking fonts. On the other hand maybe the iPad would be smart enough on its own to simply make longer text lines and areas? Dunno, will have to see.

Meanwhile if you have either Mac OS X or Windows you should right away get the Calibre application if you do not already have it. Primarily an ebook library organizer it also converts almost any format of ebook (either DRMless to begin with or stripped) to almost any other format. So I plan on spending a few hours converting all my mobi and pdf files to whatever file format the iPad turns out to support!

I cannot wait to load Comic Reader into the iPad and transfer some of my full-color, full-zie cbr files of comics like the old Uncle Scrooge Comics to the new iPad. It should look a-w-e-s-o-m-e.

Last edited:
OP
N

NeilShapiro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.joyofipad.com
Sure there are all sorts of places to find free eBooks. The Project Gutenberg at Main Page - Gutenberg is a good place to begin. They have 30,000-plus free ebooks in all interests and many in various formats including ePub. Then you could try Feedbooks at Feedbooks | Food for the mind and they have many thousands of public domain books as well as books from new authors being shared. I also like the area at Mobileread at MobileRead Forums which also has thousands of public domain books. In the Mobileread Forums also check the "Deals, Freebies and Resources" section which often gives leads to free, copyrighted works that publishers are offering for download as PR. Good luck!

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My library will probably be filled with books that my mom reads. Thats about it, i dont read that many books.:p

mike1001w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ebooks on the ipad

I know of no reason to transfer e-books to the ipad. The amazon reader should work just as well in the ipad as on the ipod. I suspect that all other reader apps will work as well. In fact the ipad should be as close to a universal ereader that one can buy....no transfers necessary!!

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you think we will be able to go to Gutenberg, through iBooks?

I know of no reason to transfer e-books to the ipad. The amazon reader should work just as well in the ipad as on the ipod. I suspect that all other reader apps will work as well. In fact the ipad should be as close to a universal ereader that one can buy....no transfers necessary!!

I was very happy to learn the free epub books would be in iBooks just do not quite understand how we get them in the iPad.

Do you think the Amazon reader will need to be used or will iBooks work for the Amazon content??? If the iPad was ported so it could run all of these ebooks it would kill them I would think?

Do you think you will be able to put iBooks on an iPhone?? Why I do not know just thinking?

mike1001w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
putting books on an ipad

Currently I have I have several e-readers on my ipod. Each as an application the runs on my imac which allows me to transfer books to the ipod and of course each is slightly different. I suggest you go to the itunes app store and see reviews of each reader. Free books are available in a variety of formats. Just pick the format and the reader you feel most comfortable with.

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This was my conclusion as well. Amazon and Barnes & Noble are both making their e-reader software available for the iPAD. As previously mentioned, there are also other book apps like Stanza that read a few different formats of ebook. With all these e-reader app options opening up, I think it's now safe to say that the iPad will be a very versatile e-book reader.
Still, I'm holding off on buying any books from B&N, Amazon, or Apple until I get my iPAD and test out each of the apps to see which provides the best reading experience.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
google books is gonna be a great resource also....they now have ever issue of pop sci and Spin

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure there are all sorts of places to find free eBooks. The Project Gutenberg at Main Page - Gutenberg is a good place to begin. They have 30,000-plus free ebooks in all interests and many in various formats including ePub. Then you could try Feedbooks at Feedbooks | Food for the mind and they have many thousands of public domain books as well as books from new authors being shared. I also like the area at Mobileread at MobileRead Forums which also has thousands of public domain books. In the Mobileread Forums also check the "Deals, Freebies and Resources" section which often gives leads to free, copyrighted works that publishers are offering for download as PR. Good luck!
It looks like all the Project Gutenberg books could already be in the iBooks store :). Source

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be interested to see all the free books that will be available either in the iBook store or in the iTunes U bookstore.

yassjohn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great work , but I have kindle ebooks on disk and want to read them on my ipad with kindle for ipad. How do I transfer them please?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Great work , but I have kindle ebooks on disk and want to read them on my ipad with kindle for ipad. How do I transfer them please?

You've double posted this same question which is poor forum etiquette; also, the last post in this thread is nearly 4 years old - I suspect a mod will come along and close the thread. Dave :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts