What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting Images OFF the iPad?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After images are loaded onto the iPad using the Camera Connection Kit, how do you get them off to permanent storage?

I have heard, but not checked, that iTunes doesn't synch them back onto your computer (I don't like iTunes any way).

I had thought that I could use the iPad to backup photos whilst traveling but if you can't get them off, there's not much point.

I have found an app (WD Photo) that will copy photos from anywhere on the network to the "Film Roll" on the iPad. I am looking for the reverse really.

Last edited:

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are lots of ways to get photos off of your iPad. "Photo Transfer" is one, that uses WiFi to send pictures to your PC, Mac, iPod and iPhone, send or receive , whatever you need. There are other apps such as "Photo-Sort HD" that will allow you to send photos to your PC or Mac, and allow you to make folders on the iDevice if you want to. Check in the iTunes App store, by searching for "photos" or "photography", it will list many apps for the camera and photography in general.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are lots of ways to get photos off of your iPad. "Photo Transfer" is one, that uses WiFi to send pictures to your PC, Mac, iPod and iPhone, send or receive , whatever you need. There are other apps such as "Photo-Sort HD" that will allow you to send photos to your PC or Mac, and allow you to make folders on the iDevice if you want to. Check in the iTunes App store, by searching for "photos" or "photography", it will list many apps for the camera and photography in general.

Thanks, I thought that there must be some possibilities.

I find it inexplicable that Apple has't catered for photography better than they have.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It can be done. there's and app for jailbroken idevices that adds a + to the upper right hand corner of the Photos app and if you tap it, it ask what name do you want for your folder, type in a name, say ok, go select some pictures, tap move, done. Apple are you listening????

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can connect iPad to pc. Go to computer, look for iPad's drive, open it. Then copy all pics from ipad. ;)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally, my preference is to use extra memiry cards and keep all until home to load to main computer for RAW processing and just usea Ipad for backup and for viewing when on the road. I thrn Dropbox to move photos back to the Ipad after processing for my portfolio.

Dianr

c.bacchus08

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After images are loaded onto the iPad using the Camera Connection Kit, how do you get them off to permanent storage?

I have found an app (WD Photo) that will copy photos from anywhere on the network to the "Film Roll" on the iPad. I am looking for the reverse really.

If you have a mac then go to "Preview" > "File" > "Import from ______ iPad" > Done.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are many ways to transfer but personally, with memory cards being so inexpensive (having a number of them), I load to the Ipad for BACKUP but do not reformat the cards and when back from travel or just the day, I quickly upload to my PC via a card reader directly from the cards. I think many photographers do the same using the ipad more as safety backup and for review in the field and if traveling being able to share via email, online photo site or Dropbox. I've been working this way since getting the Ipad 1 when it came out.

I do however, transfer small numbers of photos (jpegs--I shoot in RAW and they are large original files) that have been processed on either Ipad or PC back and forth using a Transfer app or Dropbox but with large numbers of large files I prefer to upload directly from the cards to PC--and just use the Ipad as stated above.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts