What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting audio books onto your iPod...

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Posting on behalf of hubby, he wants to buy some audio books, and get them onto his iPod so he can listen while he is driving long distances, can this be done if so how, I can't help him as i only buy eBooks, and have no idea how to help him.... he would need step by step directions...as he is a novice at buying books etc. any help would be appreciated

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPod Touch?

Apple:

You can get audiobooks from the iTunes Store. If he is on iOS 8 or earlier, you purchase them in the iTunes Store and listen to them in the Music app. If he is on iOS 9, then you go to the iBooks app and use the Favorites tab (to get to the Store). Your audiobooks are stored in an Audiobooks collection (similar to how PDF files are stored).

Neither is very good at surfacing audiobooks. You pretty much have to do a search, and then narrow it down to audiobooks. In iBooks there is a tab at the top that filters your results for audiobooks. I don't remember how it worked in iOS 8 and earlier.

Audible.com:

Probably the easiest, and most popular method of getting audiobooks on iOS devices is to get the Audible.com app and use their store and service. The collection is bigger (so I hear) and since the app is specialized for audiobooks, there's no confusion about the content type. Audible often has special deals for first time users that will get them one or two free books with a new account; so it's worth looking around.

Note: I don't use Audible.com myself, mostly because I'm not a big audiobook fan. Since I have, and want, very few of them, it's easier to have them tucked into a corner of my iBooks collection.

Amazon:

I'm pretty sure you can get audiobooks for the Kindle app as well, but have never explored this option.

(I am now officially tired of typing the word audiobook. We need a shorter name for this, now common, format)

OP
clermont

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think he has that part sort of worked out, and think he purchased 1 book, but cannot get it to go into the iPod, he has sync the iPod with the computer, but the audio book doesn't seem to be there, its a 5th generation iPod ( whatever that is) he also has a touch iPod as well ( I think that it is a Nano) has a screen on the front like an iPhone but it is very small

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Neither the 5th generation iPod nor the iPod Nano will work with my suggestions. Neither of them can use the iBooks, Music, or Audible apps.

To get audiobooks on those devices you will have to download them from the iTunes Store in iTunes on a computer, then sync them to the devices. It's been so long since I've done this that I don't know what the exact sync settings would be, but with the devices plugged to the computer and selected in iTunes, you should be able to explore the various settings and figure it out.

There should be a audiobook category, album, or something on the iPod where the book will show up. Like I said, a really long time since I've done any of this.

Note: It is possible to side load (import) audiobooks into iTunes from other sources, provided they are DRM free. In that case it's important to right click on the file, choose Get Info, and go through the tabs to make sure the file is identified as an audiobook. Otherwise it will probably act like a music file and lose all of the audiobook playback features.

wbertacchini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can also download several audiobooks from your local library using OverDrive. Check with your local library for availability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
clermont

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can also download several audiobooks from your local library using OverDrive. Check with your local library for availability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Neither the 5th generation iPod nor the iPod Nano will work with my suggestions. Neither of them can use the iBooks, Music, or Audible apps.

To get audiobooks on those devices you will have to download them from the iTunes Store in iTunes on a computer, then sync them to the devices. It's been so long since I've done this that I don't know what the exact sync settings would be, but with the devices plugged to the computer and selected in iTunes, you should be able to explore the various settings and figure it out.

There should be a audiobook category, album, or something on the iPod where the book will show up. Like I said, a really long time since I've done any of this.

Note: It is possible to side load (import) audiobooks into iTunes from other sources, provided they are DRM free. In that case it's important to right click on the file, choose Get Info, and go through the tabs to make sure the file is identified as an audiobook. Otherwise it will probably act like a music file and lose all of the audiobook playback features.
Can I ask what DRM Is

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can I ask what DRM Is

DRM (Digital Rights Management). A feature of some file formats that allows the media creator to prevent unauthorized copies from working. Most modern media formats can have DRM enabled, or not. Apple uses a technology they call Fair Play, which is mostly turned off for music, still on for movies, and on or off at the request of publishers for iBooks.

Audiobooks tend to have DRM enabled, probably because their low volume of sales and higher prices make piracy especially painful for the industry.

Here is far more information than you probably want on the subject: :)
Digital rights management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kebles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Posting on behalf of hubby, he wants to buy some audio books, and get them onto his iPod so he can listen while he is driving long distances, can this be done if so how, I can't help him as i only buy eBooks, and have no idea how to help him.... he would need step by step directions...as he is a novice at buying books etc. any help would be appreciated

Apple intentionally makes it difficult to purchase or access audiobooks, unless of course you purchase them from Apple. I have been a customer of Audible for 17 years, and with that service, he would need to go to a desk or Laptop, then access their website and purchase a book. They have a free download manager, which is device specific, which he will need to download. Once that's accomplished, he will then need to go to his library, find the book he purchased, select it, and the download manager will appear. If he chooses the option to have the book sent directly to iTunes, he will then need to connect his device to the P/C via a USB Port using his Apple Cable, that's connected to his device. Locate the book in iTunes, and then drag the Book file into his device. It sounds a bit more difficult than it really is. Up until a few years ago, Apple wouldn't allow Audible the ability to send books directly to iTunes, and that made has made the process much easier. BTW, Audible has great Customer Service, which he can call 24x7 for assistance too. I hope this helps!

Most reactions

Latest posts