What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting and Downloading Free Movies for Later Viewing

BigBlue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, the subject of free movies for the iPad appears to be a very complex one and I like simple. What I'm looking for is the ability to go to a reliable source and download a few movies at a time directly to my iPad for me to watch on the airplane. In addition, having something to look at in our hotel room when we travel would be handy as well though I can usually get a wi-fi connection there. We only fly a couple of times a year so signing up for Netflix is not in the cards. The NFB website (National Film Board of Canada) is great for this but hasn't got a very broad selection. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks a film but nothing like the prices at the iTunes Store. And, anything that requires my downloading to my PC and then transferring is more trouble than it is worth to me. Perhaps what I want doesn't exist yet and I'm fine with that. As I get older (mid-70s) things that used to be easy technically for me no longer are.

Suggestions and ideas would be welcomed. I'm not looking to rip anyone off, just to entertain myself legally and without hassle.

Thanks,
BigBlue

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Hi,

Have a look at Crackle which has a nice selection. Also, you can add GlobalTV, CTV and CitiTV for movies and shows. If you understand French, tou.tv is great also.

Those apps won't download the movie but stream it like Netflix .

Talking about Netflix, you can subscribe and pause your account for when you don't need it. For 8$ for a whole month, it's a great price. You just need to activate your account before you need it.

iTunes also offers renting instead of buying a movie. As I don't want to manage gigabytes of data and often will only watch a movie once, renting is a good alternative.

Of course, streaming means having a wifi/3G connection, so those solutions may not work in such a case.

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might try tracking down a few podcasts. They may or may not be still active, but I get old movies from iMovies, Matinee Classics, Matinee Movies, and ACM.

Most reactions