What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RSS Application which download pictures for offline viewing and...

Davidd31415

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I just purchased an iPad a few days ago and am looking for an RSS reader which will download pictures for offline viewing. I've found a few which download the text, which is better than nothing.

Also, if you have any apps that you recommend for use offline, on airplanes, etc, please let me know what the apps are.

I'm mostly looking for content-rich applications which are free. I typically stay away from non-freeware unless I am using the application for business purposes.

Also, I'd like to know if there is any way that I can get a DVD onto the iPad for viewing on a flight?

Thanks,

David

ChemoSabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure about the RSS reader. I use Pulse and like it. It has recently become free.

There is a product that cost a little bit called Instapaper that lets you save things for off line reading. I have not tried it, but a friend of my travels a lot and really likes it.

As for the DVD to iPad, there are several products that will do that. Handbrake is free, but to me was a little complicated to use (I am not that familiar with all the video settings, etc). I bought a product from Aiseesoft that worked, but it was slow. The results were great. I have not tried it with Blu-ray, my computer does not have a blue-ray player.

Also, when you buy DVD/blue rays, many will know come with digital download. Star Trek and several others have done that. So before you start ripping DVD, make sure you check. It is much easier to download.

I am like you, don't like to pay for apps unless I have to, but I have found I am more willing to pay for iPad apps that I use than I was for iPhone apps. To me $0.99 to $2.99 is not a bad price for apps. I did buy QuickOffice for $14.99, missed it when it was $9.99. That is the most expensive app I have bought so far.

Good luck and have fun.

Scott

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mobile RSS HD. There is a lite version to try and you can set it up to download pics on Wifi when you sync and this is all caches for offline viewing.
Feeddler also does this but you need to purchase the full version for proper batch syncing for offline viewing. I'm sure the lite version will still cache the articles but I don't recall if the pics are cached as well - I would assume not if batch syncing is a 'pro' feature.

OP
D

Davidd31415

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all. I wish I could run a command like wget and save the data in the device. I feel like the ipad is stuck in the place cell phones used to be... I guess "jail breaking" is what I need to do to get more control if this thing?

David

Most reactions

Latest posts