What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting an iPad2; how do I upload all my apps from my iPad1?

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just ordered an iPad2 16GB w/WiFi. I'll be wanting to upload my apps etc from my iPad first gen.

I probably have 44gb of stuff on my first gen, not concerned about photos or music as I can out all that on the cloud.How difficult will it be to transfer my apps to the 2?

Detailed instructions would be greatly appeciated.

Then what to do with the first gen!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The easiest thing to do is to upgrade the iPad1 to iOS 5.1.1. Then, make a backup of it. Remembr the date and time of that backup (and it will help if you make the two iPads have different names.

When you get the iPad2, connect it to iTunes and iTunes should recognize it as a new iPad that needs syncing. iTunes will walk you through some steps, with the end result being that you have The option to choose "restore as new" or "restore from backup." Choose the restore from backup and then select the iPad1 backup.

Then, when iTunes is done, you will have an iPad2 that is a mirror of the iPad1.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Sonia ferdous

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah just update to 5.1. Back up your iPad first and you will not lose any data by upgrading your iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts