What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Generic chargers for ipad2?

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My factory issued standard charger that came with my ipad2 just broke (split in outer casing & wires exposed)
Is there a good generic I can use or should I go to apple store and get standard apple charger?
Thanks!

eatmyshorts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple ones are way to expensive. Try searching on line on amazon and ebay and they have fairly inexpensive chargers that do the same thing.

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Personally I would only use Apple chargers. I once bought a generic power cord for my apple laptop & it shorted out within a month. Never again. Also if you go into an apple store they might just give you a new one if within warranty.

eatmyshorts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a generic one for my ipod touch and used it for 2 years with no problems whatsoever. Just be sure to get one that has many positive reviews.

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
eatmyshorts said:
I had a generic one for my ipod touch and used it for 2 years with no problems whatsoever. Just be sure to get one that has many positive reviews.

Which one do you use? Thanks!

Norriemca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 10 ft Griffin cable charger within let's me charge up the iPad 2 and use it at the same time while sitting in a chair.

Very happy with it.

Norriemca

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Makes sure the charger says it is for the iPad and specs at 10W (5v at 2A) roughly. More won't hurt. Less will greatly increase your charge time.

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Makes sure the charger says it is for the iPad and specs at 10W (5v at 2A) roughly. More won't hurt. Less will greatly increase your charge time.

Thank you!!

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I've been wondering why ipad chargers are identified as 10w when I have alwys been taught (by IT managers, mainly) to check the voltage & amperage of any charging device before using.

My understanding has always been this. Can anyone agree/disagree/correct/affirm what I understand please?

# The new ipad requires "10w" - which should mean any USB socketed charger outputting 5v & 2amps should be fine
# The issue here is not amperage as the ipad will charge slowly from a PC USB port - 5v & .5amps (2.5w). The thing to be careful of is voltage.
# Amps are "drawn" so if the maximum the ipad circuitry requires is 2.1amps, then even a 5v & 4amp charger won't be a problem as the iPad will only draw 2.1a
# Voltage higher than 5v will likely damage your ipad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Since the iPad uses a USB charging port, the voltage is fixed. Unless you buy a non-USB charging solution for the iPad (if any exists) you do not need to worry about the voltage. It will always be approximately 5V. Even then, if it is designed for the iPad or other devices normally charged with a USB cable, it will still be 5V. It's a standard.

While an iPad may charge with only .5A (2.5W), it will do so very slowly and only when off.

Yes, it should not be a problem if the power supply is more than 2A or 10W. The iPad may even charge a little faster, but not a lot faster, since as you point out the maximum amperage draw is set by the iPad, not the charger. This is why it is perfectly safe to charge your lower powered iPhone on the iPad's charger.

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet. :)

I was in another thread on a similar subject & it turns out that to charge the ipad, not only does the charger have to be USB 2.0, but also the iPad will only charge from a charger that has certain USB pins connected within the charger to specifically sized resistors. After that the charger needs to be 5v / 2amp. Or to put it succinctly, as you have said previously, the charger must say that it will charge iDevices. :)

Apple iPod, iPad and iPhone dock - AllPinouts

Most reactions

Latest posts