What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galaxy to iPad.................now thinking of returning

I

islandman

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My Mother in Law has the Tab 3 and I don't think the camera is that great at all, maybe slightly better than the iPad 2 (which is horrible). But that is just my humble opinion. In the end it's best to chose what device works best for you. I personally am not a fan of Android but I can understand and appreciate how it would appeal to some , the same way the iOS appeals to others.

OP
I

islandman

Ok then Brian, so what do you feel about being able to increase memory.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 2 TB NAS that makes this a non issue. All pics , movies ,etc are stored on there and accessible via apps. But as I said before it's what works for the user, buy what suits your needs. With that being said, looking at device sales, lack of expandable storage is not a deal breaker for iOS users

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm sure we're all tempted at times, but I know I'd most likely return to Apple.
Why? IOS seems to me to be much simpler to learn and use, simpler is better.
Many of the things people don't like about IOS appeal to me, like all things from Apple only. Once again not all will agree.
I read a news article about the IOS device becoming useless if you replaced the home button on a iPhone with Touch ID at a non Apple repair shop.
That extra effort for security is impressive. I'm not trying to convince anyone anything, just an opinion of an iPad user! Let us know what you decided to do.

OP
I

islandman

Yes I will. Actually I don't think its a good idea to be chopping and changing simply because you think the grass is greener elsewhere. I know I could google it Brian, but what is 2 TB NAS

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread will explain what NAS is:
What is NAS and what can it do for you?

You're not stuck with the 16 GB. Additionally to NAS, there are various options which will help overcome the limited amount of storage. USB flash drives especially for iDevices, e.g. (Not cheap, though), or other devices which connect to the iPad via Wi-Fi and allow transferring files or photos from your device, to store them somewhere else.

And don't forget there are many cloud solutions to store your files and photos online, and many of them start with free storage, which can be upgraded.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, whatever device you decide to use comes down to personal reasons. I use Apple almost exclusively for the following reason: interoperability. When I'm away from my Mac, my iPhone is my interface to it. When I pick up my iPad, everything that I was doing on my phone or Mac is instantly available, even though my iPad (2) has become nothing more than a remote control for my home theatre.

I use Mac, iPad, iPhone (x2), AppleTV, Airport Extreme (x2), Airport Express and I still find room for other devices. I simply cannot see life without a Windows PC, because there are programs I use that simply do not exist for Mac. Yes, I know I can run Windows on a Mac, but the PC is way more cost effective.

I used a Samsung phone for a while, and hated it, simply because I didn't understand the OS and couldn't be bothered to learn it. For anyone who is already comfortable with it, or has a longer attention span than I do, I'm sure Android devices are just fine, or even superior to Apple in certain respects.

I just don't see anything like the intimate relationship between iOS and OS X available anywhere else.

If your personal circumstances lead you to choose a device other than an iPad, then so be it. These devices are above all about convenience, and if Apple can't give you that, IMO it's time to move on, with no regrets.

OP
I

islandman

appreciate your replies, will keep you posted,

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In my observations, non-Apple users are very nasty/negative towards Apple users, like they want us to justify our "wrong" choice. It's ridiculous.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In my observations, non-Apple users are very nasty/negative towards Apple users, like they want us to justify our "wrong" choice. It's ridiculous.

There are some like that in both camps. People who are unable to understand why anyone would make a different choice. Unfortunately they tend to be the most vocal in any group, and because they are negative and irritating we remember them better than the dozen people who did speak up with more reasonable advice.

It's also common for us to assume that the 'other' group has the worst of these; because our own bias's tend to let all but the worst of our own group slide, while over reacting to the comments of the other. Also, in a moderated forum like this the most offensive people get banned fairly quickly; or find few reasons to act up due ot the lack of 'the other side' posting. This gives the false impresion that the wider Apple commuity is less nasty.

Having spent some time in both communities, and the wild west of newsgroups when they were still a thing, I'm somwhat jaded about the whole thing. Given free reign, any group of people eventually gets destroyed by their worst memembers, unless the group puts in standards and measures to prevent it.

Getting along in a civil, polite forum is something both the poster and reader need to work at. A little more thought when posting, and a little less immediate reacting when reading go a long way. That and 'letting it go' would probably reduce the sales of stomach medicine by half.

Last edited:
OP
I

islandman

I haven't felt anyone is being nasty here, or anywhere else for that matter. Some people are less patient, but perhaps that's because I am old and take rather more time deliberating over things.

Most reactions