What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frustrated with iCloud and Apple in general

livetraderdt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I've had my iPad2 for some time now and I just upgraded to iOS 5. Apparently this should come with the all great iCloud service that allows you to wireless sync between Apple devices etc...

So, I am having a frustrating time just to be able to do one thing. I have a LOT of PDF documents on my PC (Windows) that I would like to wirelessly transfer over to my iPad2. Can this be done even? And if so, how is it done so that I can view my PDF's in iBooks.

These are not purchased PDF's or anything like that but my own PDF documents that I've created for my job.

I used to use DropBox, but isn't iCloud supposed to replace the need for 3rd party apps?

Any help in getting to grips with iCloud and instructions on how to perform this functionality would be greatly appreciated.

Emailing myself the document is not an option as most of my PDF's are very large with much graphics and diagrams.

David

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi David - welcome to the forum! :)

Not sure that I can help but will offer an option - now I've used Dropbox and have an iCloud account but have not yet explored these 'cloud' options much - sorry!

But let's go the 'old fashion' way - i.e. sync your iPad to your computer w/ iTunes via the cable; once connected, in iTunes go to the file sub-menu and select 'Add File to the Library' - this will bring up a 'Windows Explorer' window - search and find the PDF file that your will like to transfer to the iPad - select the file of interest and sync to your iPad - go to iBooks and choose the PDF files option to see the sync PDFs - give it a try - may not be the easiest or quickest way but has worked for me - good luck! Dave

OP
L

livetraderdt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, yes, thank you giradman, thing is I don't want to use the cable!!! The whole point was to do this wirelessly, I hate being tethered to a PC hence the use of DropBox.

I've been reading the iCloud instructions etc... and it just says to sync on all devices, just put your PDF into iTunes Library etc... and everything will be automatically synced. Guess what??? that doesn't work! or at least I've not been able to get it to work, now I don't know if it's just me being over frustrated with this whole situation that I cannot see how or it's just another silly Apple thing that doesn't allow you to use your device like you should be able to.

Any other suggestions??? I'm tearing out my hair!

thanks

David

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
livetraderdt said:
Hi, yes, thank you giradman, thing is I don't want to use the cable!!! The whole point was to do this wirelessly, I hate being tethered to a PC hence the use of DropBox.

I've been reading the iCloud instructions etc... and it just says to sync on all devices, just put your PDF into iTunes Library etc... and everything will be automatically synced. Guess what??? that doesn't work! or at least I've not been able to get it to work, now I don't know if it's just me being over frustrated with this whole situation that I cannot see how or it's just another silly Apple thing that doesn't allow you to use your device like you should be able to.

Any other suggestions??? I'm tearing out my hair!

thanks

David

If you've got iCloud and iOS 5 up and running you can indeed sync with iTunes without a cable. Go to Settings>General>iTunes wifi Sync on your iPad, the very first time that I did this I had to connect the cable to start it off, then I pulled the cable out and it carried on syncing, I've not had to use the cable since.....you do need to have your Mac or PC turned on for this to happen though.

Personally I still prefer Dropbox for files which need to go to all my devices although once I get more used to iCloud it may not be necessary.

The Archangel

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi David - well, I have used Dropbox to transfer a wide variety of files, including PDFs - an easy way is to just open Windows Explorer and drag your PDF file(s) to the Dropbox folder - the file(s) should shortly sync w/ your iPad - just gave that option another try; i.e. drag a 7MB PDF (American Record Guide recent issue) on my VISTA laptop to the Dropbox folder (both computer & iPad on my home Wi-Fi); in a short time the file was available on the iPad in Dropbox, which on my device offered export to iBooks, Goodreader, or Evernote.

Hope others like Gabriel above will help you w/ an iCloud option - just a matter of setting up iCloud and also plugging in your iPad to the computer and selecting Wi-Fi sync as your option. Good luck and please let us know how you succeeded! Dave :)

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that for iCloud to work the application you are using has to support iCloud.
The best way to start and do this is to start with DropBox. Place all the files you wish to have on your iPad in DropBox on your PC.
Open dropBox on your iPad and choose the file you wish to open, but choose to open it with iBooks (upper right hand corner of dropBox view). Once the file is opened in iBooks it will be automatically sync via the cloud.
ICloud will wirelessly sync between IOS devices, iTunes can wirelessly sync between your PC (or Mac) and your IOS device.
You need to tell iTunes to wireless sync. To set this up you need to connect your device to the PC via wire (first time). Once the connection is made on the summary page check off the following two options (both must be checked) options
Open Itunes when this (you device iPhone or iPad) is connected
Sync with this (you device iPhone or iPad) over wifi

Most reactions

Latest posts