What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

From address that is not from an account

Markdf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thunderbird and gmail web interface both allow me to add "virtual" addresses to use as a reply-to address. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that with the iPad mail client.

The usage for this is that I have my own domain for e-mail. I direct all e-mail to my gmail account so my iPad account setup points to my gmail account. But I want to have as an option when composing and replying to an e-mail to select whether I use my gmail username or my domain username.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no way for the Mail app to sync back through GMail to get your domain account's settings.

You'll have to set your domain account up separately on the iPad. Once you do that you can tap on the from field and select the email address you wish to send from. Means your domain mail will show up in two places in Mail, but that shouldn't' be a real problem. As long as both are IMAP services things should sync up pretty quickly. It also might double up some mail in the universal inbox. Just use Googles inbox, or kill you domain accounts forward to Google.

I know, a choice of evils.

My MobileMe account appears to sync all my aliases. It's is possible GMail will do the same with aliases, but you would have to set them up in Gmail, not on the iPad. I have GMail, but have not tested this theory.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Email Client From

How do I get the email client to show the From field so that I can edit it before sending? I am using an IMAP account with the ipad email client. Is there a better email client app?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just tap on the From field. It will expand to show the CC BCC and From fields. Tap on the address in the From field and you'll see a list of email addresses for it to be from. If you can't see one that you'd like, try adding it to your Contacts address under your name. Not sure if that will work, but worth a try.

Though mine picks up my aliases from MobileMe, I don't know if it would do the same for GMail or other accounts.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The New Message dialog only has To, CC/BCC and Subject. No From field. I have not found anywhere where I can configure that field to show?

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The field shows "CC/BCC, From" on mine, and expands into separate fields if I tap on it.

After a bit of experimenting I found that the From field does not show up if I only have my GMail account turned on. So my guess is that you only get the From field if you have multiple accounts set up, or the accounts you have set up have aliases associated with them.

I don't know if you can create an alias in GMail, and even if you can there is no guarantee that the Mail app will detect them. The only account I have with aliases is MobileMe, and it offers more integration than other services, for obvious reasons.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have found that I need to create an account definition for each alias. When you say MobileMe account, is it a paid account? I have the free account, but it does not have any email addresses, only Findme.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, my MobileMe account is payed.

I've had it for a long time. There is a free alternative for most things it will do, but I want to keep my email address. Also, since my primary computer is an iMac it offers superior compatibility, advanced syncing, and misc other services that are difficult to set up with the alternatives.

Most reactions

Latest posts