What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free tools for live low latency video streaming to iPAD

distefano

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am running a video security business/non-profit and over last 2 years I had more and more complaints from users unable to monitor their security cameras
on their iPads / iPhones. There is plenty of software out there that allows streaming video to iPad, but you get very long delays from real time - from 15 to 40 seconds, which sometimes invalidates the whole idea of security video monitoring: by the time you saw the event, the thief is gone!

So I have done some research on low latency options and want to share it with the community and get your input - do you know of any low-latency and free streaming software for iPad?

Here are two programs that I found (both use Apple HTTP Live Streaming protocol, and you need to use HTML5 <video> in Safari browser):

VideoLan (VLC). After long digging I have found a tutorial of how to stream from VLC to iPADs:
wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Streaming_HowTo/Streaming_for_the_iPhone
Not too simple to configure; eventually this gives me about 5-7 seconds latency, but playback is choppy and jerky.

Unreal Media Server. Just found it couple of weeks ago. Download it from here
umediaserver.net/umediaserver/download.html

Create a live broadcast that points to your camera; right-click on this live broadcast and select "Start HLS Streaming". Specify lowest values
for chunk duration and number of chunks. After I have done that, I got 2-4 seconds latency on my iPAD; nice and smooth video.

In both cases I measured the latency over the Internet ( for LAN, I guess, it will be lower ).

Any input, ideas, how can I go lower than 2 seconds latency, streaming live to iPAD?

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to iPad Forums. This is an online community where many members come together to discuss the iPad.
I would recommend subscribing to the iPF news feed
Apple iPad News
For your iPad FAQ, check this out.
iPad FAQ
Looking for iPad reviews? They're all right here.
iPad Reviews
For more off topic stuff:
Off-Topic
The rules-please read!
Forum Rules, Help and Info

Thanks for joining,
Goofy

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there...welcome to the Forum.

We are going to move this to the App Section. Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts